We're excited to announce our second annual open call for nominations to our Board of Directors! We look forward to encouraging our members to nominate people with the lived experience and work expertise to advance WRAG’s mission of developing a more equitable Greater Washington region.
The board seeks candidates who represent the full diversity of our region, our work, and foundation types. We ask that you consider the current board demographics (see below) as you make nominations that will help us continue our journey to an inclusive board.
The committee will recruit up to five new board members from June 21st – to July 12th through an open nomination process to increase representation on the board. The Board discussed that WRAG board members should have decision-making authority and buy-in from their organizations but do not need to be the most senior-level executive from their organizations. There was support from the board for both open nominations and targeted recruitment to generate strong candidates from across the region. We welcome all nominations but will specifically be looking for Grantmakers with experience in Fundraising, General Council, Data & Evaluation who are Grantmakers in Prince George’s County or those who identify as LGBTQIA, as well as those who specialize in Government relations.
Self-nominations are welcome! Board terms will begin in January 2023. Terms of Service are for two years, with the possibility of renewal for two consecutive terms. The board meets four times yearly, typically in March, June, September, and December.
Open Nominations Process: June 21st – July 12th
Review Applications: July 13th – July 22nd
Top Candidates invited to join the Board: July 29th
Deadline: We will ask all candidates to respond by August 12th
Board votes on new Board at Q3 Board Meeting: September 13th
Nominations are due Tuesday, July 12, 2021
Role of the Board
- Establish and promote the mission and vision of the organization
- Monitor annual achievement of strategic plan goals
- Identify financial resources and support fund development
- Establish and oversee an annual budget, including a membership dues schedule and other revenue streams, to achieve the mission and goals of the organization
- Meet fiduciary and legal responsibilities
- Establish policies and procedures related to the governance of the organization
- Support, employ, and annually review the performance of the CEO of the organization
- Elect officers who will assure the highest quality of board leadership
- Actively participate in the recruitment and nominating process of directors who will assure continuity of high-quality board performance
- Personally and professionally advance racial equity in and for the Greater Washington region, and fully participate in the racial equity training and development of the board
- Participate on at least one committee of the board
- Attend meetings faithfully and serve on committees effectively
- Act as an ambassador by attending WRAG’s annual meeting and encouraging member participation in WRAG events and strategies
- Make an organizational and/or personal contribution to the Leadership Fund, WRAG’s general operating support revenue (if this requirement presents a barrier for the person or organization, we still encourage your application.
- Pay for their own travel and accommodations related to board meetings
- When requested by the chair of the board or CEO, act as a spokesperson for WRAG
- Promote membership & assist in the recruitment of new members
- A representative or trustee of a current WRAG Member
- Leadership experience in the philanthropic sector
- Organizational support to actively participate and engage in board responsibilities and activities
Current Board Demographics