For the first time in WRAG’s history, we have modified our recruitment process with an open call for nominations to our Board of Directors! We hope this effort encourages our membership to nominate people who have the lived experience and work expertise that will advance WRAG’s mission of developing a more equitable National Capital Region.
The board seeks candidates who represent the full diversity of our region, our work, and foundation types. We ask that you consider the current board demographics (see below) as you make nominations that will help us continue in our journey to have an inclusive board. This year, the nominating committee is especially interested in candidates with expertise in racial equity or justice, advocacy & systems change, fiscal sponsorship, and audit & finance.
Self-nominations are welcome! Board terms will begin in January 2022. Terms of service are for two years, with the possibility of renewal for two consecutive terms. The board meets four times a year, typically in March, June, September, and December.
Nominations are due Sunday, July 18, 2021
Role of the Board
- Establish and promote the mission and vision of the organization
- Develop and periodically review a strategic plan and monitor annual achievement of strategic plan goals
- Identify financial resources and support fund development
- Establish and oversee an annual budget, including a membership dues schedule and other revenue streams, to achieve the mission and goals of the organization
- Meet fiduciary and legal responsibilities
- Establish policies and procedures related to the governance of the organization
- Support, employ, and annually review the performance of the CEO of the organization
- Elect officers who will assure the highest quality of board leadership
- Actively participate in the recruitment and nominating process of directors who will assure continuity of high-quality board performance
- Personally and professionally advance racial equity in and for the National Capital Region, and fully participate in the racial equity training and development of the board
- Participate on at least one committee of the board
- Attend meetings faithfully and serve on committees effectively
- Act as an ambassador by attending WRAG’s annual meeting and encouraging member participation in WRAG events and strategies
- Make an organizational and/or personal contribution to the Leadership Fund, WRAG’s general operating support revenue (if this requirement presents a barrier for the person or organization, we still encourage your application.
- Pay for their own travel and accommodations related to board meetings
- When requested by the chair of the board or CEO, act as a spokesperson for WRAG
- Promote membership & assist in the recruitment of new members
- A representative or trustee of a current WRAG Member
- Leadership experience in the philanthropic sector
- Organizational support to actively participate and engage in board responsibilities and activities
Current Board Demographics