Founded in 1994, the Gill Foundation is one of the nation’s largest funders of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender equal rights work. The goal of our work is to create an America in which all people are treated equally and respectfully. For more information, please visit www.gillfoundation.org
The Vice President of Strategy will lead the foundation’s efforts to secure full legal equality for LGBT people.
We are seeking a driven, top tier strategist with a proven track record of winning campaigns, overcoming obstacles, and thinking ten steps ahead. This is a unique opportunity to guide the resources of the foundation – and the significant energy of grantees - in a rapidly changing issue environment. The ideal candidate should have experience stitching together various aspects of a campaign including communications, organizing, politics, and development.
This position reports to the CEO and works with their peers on the senior executive team to create effective measurements to track success, execute grant making strategies to achieve measurable results, ensure the foundation communicates consistently, and leverage resources from other donors.
- Models the Guiding Principles of the Gill Foundation and helps ensure a mission-driven culture.
- Shows up as an inspiring leader who sees the opportunity in challenging moments.
- Brings a “yes, and…” attitude to work that inspires forward progress toward outcomes.
- Models an obsession with attention to detail, research and learning, and insists on maintaining high-level subject matter expertise.
- Thrives in an environment shaped by a pragmatic living donor, fearlessly bringing fresh perspective to the table, backing it up with data, and whole heartedly implementing whatever decision is made.
- Ensures a unified understanding of the foundation’s mission and strategic priorities among staff and all external constituencies.
Drive a proactive vision for the LGBT movement. - 65%
- Lead externally. Work closely with LGBT movement leaders to develop and inspire a proactive path forward in the face of significant challenges.
- Innovate. Infuse the team with constant new ideas to prove the problem of LGBT discrimination, create urgency in the states, and disrupt anti-LGBT narratives.
- Elevate strategic thinking. Seek out the best ideas from other movements and top thinkers and apply them to our work.
- Learn. Identify gaps in the movement’s knowledge that are preventing forward progress and design experiments that help us learn.
- Make it all add up. Connect the dots across programs to ensure maximum, measurable impact of the foundation’s investments for the staff and board.
Leverage Donor Resources – 20%
- Collaborate with the Director of Donor Resources to ensure seamless integration of programs work with donor outreach.
- Participate in development of a dynamic and influential bi-annual donor conference and more frequent dinner events. Create content that reinforces the foundation’s current priorities.
Evaluate and Report – 15%
- Work closely with peers on the senior team to develop and track the annual programmatic outcomes.
- Drive development of annual programmatic budget.
- Lead programmatic reporting to the board.
- Experience: Has developed and driven successful statewide and/or national advocacy campaigns.
- Innovative spirit: Has passion for breaking new ground in public education efforts.
- Strategic vision and agility: Has ability to think strategically, act nimbly, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the plan.
- Top Performer: Has proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation; evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of data analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; the ability to balance the delivery of programs against the realities of a budget; and problem solving, project management, and creative resourcefulness.
- Action Oriented: Enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; not afraid to take charge of a situation; can overcome resistance to leadership and take unpopular stands when necessary.
Location and Work Protocols
- Based at the Denver, Colorado office
- Flexible work schedule including off-regular hour events
- Expected to monitor email during off-hours for unusual critical event developments
- Periodic travel
This is an outstanding opportunity to partner with the Gill Foundation’s CEO and senior management team. The Gill Foundation offers competitive compensation packages including base salary, health, retirement, and vacation benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Gill Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity in full compliance with all federal, state, and local laws. The foundation’s policy applies to all terms, conditions and privileges of employment and provides equal employment opportunity regarding race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, age, national origin, disability, height, weight, or military status and any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
To apply please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.