Position: Special Grants Coordinator/Program Analyst I
Location: 3333 K Street NW | Washington, DC 20007
Department: Office of Program Performance
Employment Status: Regular/Full-Time/Non-exempt
The Legal Services Corporation (LSC) is the country’s single largest funder of civil legal aid for low-income Americans. Established in 1974, LSC operates as an independent 501(c)3 nonprofit corporation that promotes equal access to justice and provides grants for high-quality civil legal assistance. LSC currently funds 133 independent, nonprofit legal aid organizations with nearly 800 offices throughout the nation.
Basic Function: Under the general direction of the Director of the Office of Program Performance (OPP) and his or her designee, assists with the coordination and administration of LSC’s various disaster relief grants, which support disaster-related legal services, and the Pro Bono Innovation Grant (PBIF) program (collectively, special grants). Coordinates with LSC staff and grantees following disasters, and provides general support to OPP with regard to PBIF grants, pro bono initiatives, and disaster relief initiatives. This position is included in a collective bargaining unit represented by the International Federation of Professional & Technical Engineers, Local 135.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Works with LSC personnel to coordinate LSC’s disaster grants and all aspects grant application reviews, funding recommendations, grant awards, and grant program oversight. Responsibilities include assessing completeness and quality of applications, proposed grant programs, and proposed budgets; providing guidance to applicants and grantees on application and grant procedures; negotiating scopes of proposed grant activities and budgets; preparing grant award documents, including grant terms and budgets; determining information to be reported by grantees and the schedule of reporting; and evaluating grantee reports to ensure timely, appropriate, and high quality grant program activities.
2. Works with Program Counsel and Office of Information Technology (OIT) staff to develop the new grants management system including the integration of mulitiple disaster grant programs. Coordinates the annual development and testing of LSC online grants for special grants applicants, reviewers, and LSC staff and online modules for application submission, reviewer scoring, internal grant approval processes, and grantee reporting. Tests all proposed modifications to systems and makes recommendations on changes.
3. Assists Program Counsel with the development of policies and procedures for Disaster Relief Emergency grantmaking.
4. Coordinates logistics and information for applicant information sessions and grantee training sessions during the application period and grant cycle. Coordinates logistics, information, and trainings for PBIF/disaster reviewers (LSC staff and external reviewers).
5. Responds to inquiries from applicants and the public regarding special grants.
6. Drafts grant application review questions for external evaluators and scoring sheet to be used by Vice President for Grants Management.
7. Evaluates applications for funding under the special grants programs by reviewing proposals for funding and related documents, and makes recommendations for funding.
8. Assists with the coordination of the special grants processes by: working with Program Counsel to process PBIF and disaster relief payment requests; working with grantees to ensure that required reports are filed; maintaining postings on LSC’s website regarding the special grants; and exploring new procedures that facilitate the special grants management process.
9. Prepares award packages to be signed by the President and provided to LSC’s Office of Financial and Administrative Services (OFAS) for distribution to the grantees.
10. Conducts initial review of all grantee evaluation reports, makes recommendations and recommendations for changes. Communicates final changes and requirements to grantees.
11. Conducts initial review of all grantee progress reports, makes recommendations for changes, and discusses final recommendations with grantees.
12. Maintains database with accurate information on applications and grantees, researches and analyzes grants to produce various reports and worksheets for internal distribution; compiles and edits grant documents, statistical data, correspondence, reports, and memoranda in both draft and final form. Produces grant status reports and other reports required by LSC staff. Compiles materials on grant results for publication (electronically and in paper form) and distribution.
13. Is responsible for the initial processing of special grants Payment Requests; distribution and stewardship of payment requests through various stages of approval process; electronic file retention of payment requests; and request for payment requests made to OFAS upon final approval by OPP Director. Monitors compliance with reporting, and notifies grantees who have not reported.
14. Develops and maintains tracking methodologies for all active and suspended PBIFs and disaster relief grants. Provides training to PBIF staff and reviewers on systems and tools developed to monitor budget.
15. Assists program counsel with the provision of technical assistance to special grants applicants.
16. Develops and maintains a library of disaster resources and best practices to share with grantees and partners.
17. Helps increase the visibility of LSC’s disaster program visibility in the field and through an enhanced presence on LSC.gov.
18. Updates content for LSC website with information on PBIF and disaster grants, conferences, and disaster relief and PBIF-funded resources. Works with OIT on the website, as needed.
19. Engages in activities to promote LSC’s disaster preparedness initiative including: grantee outreach following a disaster; organizing national disaster conference calls; assisting with maintaining and managing disaster preparedness website (www.DisasterLegalAid.org); preparation for LSC board meetings, conferences, and meetings; helping analyze and draft memos on results of disaster relief grants; reviewing and helping develop the annual disaster initiative work plan; communicating with LSC grantees and partners, including the National Legal Aid & Defender Association, American Bar Association, and Pro Bono Net on disaster issues; communicating with Red Cross and Federal Emergency Management Agency on disaster-related issues.
20. Promotes knowledge-sharing and improvement of the grantees’ capacity to provide high quality, effective, and efficient legal services, particularly as to pro bono and disaster relief. Participates in related briefings to LSC senior management.
21. Conducts research and helps develop resources relating to the delivery of legal services to eligible clients, particularly with respect to pro bono and disaster relief.
Must demonstrate initiative and be an effective problem-solver; excellent customer-service focus; strong and effective organizational and time-management skills; excellent oral and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to craft solid written products; ability to communicate effectively with broad and diverse audiences – including staff, grantees, and applicants; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors work to ensure quality; ability to systematically organize and catalogue data and information; adaptable and able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and adjust to shifting and changing priorities under tight deadlines; attention to detail; maintains a high level of productivity; works well independently and with others as a team member; makes sound, well-informed, and objective decisions; influences, motivates, and challenges others; understands LSC’s mission, functions, and operations; identifies and understands trends that affect access to legal services for low income persons; is knowledgeable in the field of websites and communication strategies, and how they relate to the delivery of legal services; and understands service delivery strategies employing technology.
A bachelor’s degree and a minimum of four years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience totaling a minimum of seven years related to the legal service delivery, technology, or equivalent work; experience with website design and/or development; knowledge of and interest in technology; proven abilities in analytical, database, and reporting skills. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel and Word.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary Range: $65,663 – $73,958
LSC has a competitive market-based salary structure that establishes a specific salary range for this position. The salary range has eight pay levels separated by seven steps. A new employee will be hired at Step 1 and must wait two years to advance to each of the next three steps (Steps 2 through 4), and one year to advance to each of the next four steps (Steps 5 through 8).
Excellent benefits package.
To apply, submit a complete application (provide ALL of the information requested and answer ALL of the questions) and attach a résumé and cover letter explaining why you are a good fit for this position. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Apply directly on our website at: www.lsc.gov/about-lsc/careers
Questions can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: If reasonable accommodation in the application process is required, please notify OHR at 202-295-1571 or email@example.com.
LSC embraces diversity as a core value. We recognize that our success as a corporation depends upon creating and maintaining a diverse team of talented professionals, and we are committed to a workplace that reflects and supports diverse individual backgrounds and perspectives. Our commitment to diversity, inclusion, and non-discrimination includes race, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, personal appearance, genetic information, political affiliation, marital status, family responsibilities, disability and status as a veteran, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws or regulation. We strive to have a workplace that is comfortable and welcoming for everyone. LSC is an equal opportunity employer.