Flamboyan Foundation seeks a Senior Managing Director of Finance & Operations to be based in our Washington, D.C. office. The person in this role will help advance Flamboyan’s education work in D.C. and Puerto Rico. The ideal candidate brings experience setting vision and strategy, excellent project management and communication skills, and an ability to unify the operational strands of Flamboyan’s two offices.
Who We Are
Guided by the belief that all children deserve the opportunity to live a fulfilling life, the Flamboyan Foundation works to ensure every child in the US and Puerto Rico receives an outstanding education. In D.C., Flamboyan is accelerating student learning by helping educators and school systems transform their relationships with families. In Puerto Rico, Flamboyan is ensuring students are reading in Spanish on grade level by third grade while building a thriving philanthropic and nonprofit sector.
What You’ll Do
The Senior Managing Director, Finance & Operations offers an incredible opportunity to work in an entrepreneurial and collaborative environment. The ideal candidate is an enthusiast of systems design and implementation and brings an exceptional track record of financial management and human resources experience in a diverse environment. Successful candidates thrive in collaborative, supportive, fun environments while valuing hard work to deliver results. This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer and functions as a part of the President’s Office. Its start date is October 2018, depending on candidate availability.
- Create and lead a cutting-edge operations strategy, including the development and implementation of an in-house HR function
- Participate actively as a member of the organization’s senior leadership team
- Oversee the design & ongoing management of Flamboyan’s $8M+ organizational budget, $10M+ fund for special projects, and bank accounts
- Create, analyze and present accurate and timely financial reports for a range of audiences
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process and other financial filings
- Create financial policies and train staff to consistently follow policies, expectations, and procedures
- Create a strong culture of financial stewardship
- Ensure all administrative HR functions necessary to maintain peak performance including bi-weekly payroll, benefits management, and employee record keeping are run efficiently and effectively.
- Develop and maintain a complete understanding of the competitive marketplace for benefits and retirement. Responsible for making the business case for any change in offerings through review, approval and implementation phases.
- Responsible for overall compensation and benefit vendor management.
- Ensure all staff are well-versed in their benefits and have a deep understanding of how to maximize use
- Manage Flamboyan’s legal 501(c)(3) status and ensure all activities are aligned to preserving this status
- Maintain a robust and standardized contract management system across the organization
- Ensure all Flamboyan activities are Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) compliant
- Manage organization-wide access to legal counsel
- Create a culture of legal stewardship
- Manage third-party information technology vendor on staff IT support
- Manage all technology procurement and user setup
- Lead design and implementation of all new major IT systems
- Explore new technologies and structures to maximize productivity and satisfaction
- Continuously evaluate IT vendor and options for bringing IT in-house
- Ensure smooth daily functioning of the Flamboyan DC office space
- Manage building space needs; work with external vendors to make relevant changes
- Manage all operational facets of organizational growth
- Inspire the work of operations’ team members in D.C. and Puerto Rico and supervise D.C.-based staff
- In collaboration with the senior leadership team, professionally develop and ensure the satisfaction of operations’ team members
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree required, masters desired
- Minimum 10 years professional experience with demonstrated responsibility developing and managing complex budgets and/or financial processes and compliance required
- Senior management experience required
- Experience working within the education and philanthropic sectors preferred
- Spanish language skills (verbal & written) preferred
- Experience and comfort working in ambiguous environments and with limited information; ability and confidence to make sound decisions in those environments
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills; ability to influence (with informal authority) people to take action; ability to build alignment
- Natural propensity to identify and analyze problems, independently craft solutions, and describe additional information needed, potential trade-offs, or day-to-day implications of potential solutions in a clear, succinct way
- Proven experience in the field of finance – including managing complex budgets, managing teams to manage budgets, financial compliance for nonprofits
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to multi-task effectively
- Proven ability to develop effective systems and to manage a team to outcomes
- Skilled systems-thinker who can easily articulate the inter-connectedness of people and projects
- Ability to set team objectives and oversee team priorities, in alignment with departmental and organizational goals, along with the ability to independently plan and see a project through “from soup to nuts” with strong attention to detail
- Open mind and strong judgment in assessing options that weigh flexibility and consistency as opposing values
- Passion for social change and the importance of education as an element of it
How We Value You
Flamboyan offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position, a comprehensive benefits package, generous vacation time, and professional development opportunities. We are a people-centered, flexible, family-friendly workplace with a beautiful office environment. Our work is guided by four foundational core values that keep us grounded.
- People. We believe in the power, dignity, value, potential, and good intent of all people.
- Equity. We challenge ourselves, one another, and our partners to collaborate to identify and eliminate the barriers faced by historically underserved populations [so that everyone has the same access, consideration, respect, and opportunity].
- Impact. We create lasting, meaningful social change.
- Catalytic Action. We pursue our goals with passion and urgency and activate others internally and externally to carry our work even further.
For more information please visit www.flamboyanfoundation.org.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online at: https://grnh.se/6243a77a2. It is in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. We recommend that your cover letter include why you are interested in Flamboyan Foundation and how your experience has prepared you for this role.
Note that the application must be completed in one sitting - it cannot be saved and edited later. We recommend completing it in one sitting or answering the questions offline and copying them to the application when you are ready to submit. Applications submitted by Friday, September 7, will receive best consideration.
Flamboyan Foundation is committed to being an inclusive organization that challenges historical inequity with a focus on dismantling systemic racism. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation gender identity or expression, veteran status or disability. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply.