A B O U T T H E M E YE R F O U N DA T I O N
The Meyer Foundation invests in solutions that build an equitable Washington region* in which economically disadvantaged people thrive, and envisions a just, connected, and inclusive Greater Washington* community in which systemic racism and its consequences no longer exist. Over the past 75 years, building on the legacy of its founders Eugene and Agnes E. Meyer, the Foundation has been a leader in the Washington region, making philanthropic investments with a deep focus and expertise in nonprofit capacity building.
As the Foundation assesses the current socioeconomic climate of the Greater Washington region and inequities that have long persisted in many communities, it recognizes that new strategies and ideas that more directly challenge the status quo are necessary. The Foundation is identifying ways to leverage all its assets—including capacity building, communications, convening power, and collective action—to tackle the root causes of longstanding inequity—namely, structural and systemic racism. Meyer acknowledges that there are significant, interrelated challenges facing many residents in the region, and envisions solutions that go beyond the traditional bounds of philanthropy.
Meyer focuses its efforts on the core programmatic goals of achieving racial equity in housing, jobs, education, and asset-building in the Greater Washington region. The Foundation’s work to examine and confront racism is evolving and will continue to take place at the programmatic level and throughout the organization as each aspect of the Foundation is explored for opportunities to achieve racial equity.
In 2016, the Meyer Foundation awarded nearly $7.2M across the Greater Washington region. Looking ahead, the Foundation will explore opportunities to more intentionally address the systems, practices, and norms that perpetuate poverty and systemic racism.
Under the leadership of President and CEO Nicky Goren, the Foundation seeks team members who are committed to racial justice and equity and who can help advance this goal of the Foundation during a time of change.
With a full staff of 18 people, all based in the Dupont Circle office, the Foundation is working to build a close-knit team culture. Each member of the Meyer Foundation team is committed to the work because of their dedication to addressing the community issues most pertinent to the Greater Washington region. The Foundation upholds its commitment to the professional and personal development of each person on staff and to valuing work/life balance for team members.
For more information about the Meyer Foundation, please visit www.meyerfoundation.org.
* Greater Washington, DC region defined by the Foundation as: Washington, DC; Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties, Maryland; Arlington, Fairfax, and Prince William Counties, Virginia; the Cities of Alexandria, Falls Church, Manassas, and Manassas Park, Virginia
T H E O P P O R T U N I T Y
The Meyer Foundation seeks a resourceful and conscientious program associate to serve as a versatile member of the Foundation’s program team during a time of organizational and culture change. The position will report to the Senior Director for Strategy and Equity and will work in close collaboration with the program team, internal colleagues, and external vendors.
As a member of the Meyer Foundation team, the Program Associate for Strategy, Equity, and Research will be expected to be proactive by engaging in informal and formal team building, facilitation of meetings, participate on internal committees, and actively participate in racial justice work. It is encouraged that all members of the Meyer Foundation be curious and creative in their approaches, maintain an open mind, and push themselves to be an inclusive corporate citizen. Candidates should bring a sense of curiosity to the position and seek to understand the story behind and the implications of the Foundation’s accounting and operational activities.
CA N D I D A T E P R O FI L E
The Program Associate for Strategy, Equity, and Research will work with the Senior Directors for Strategy and Equity and Program and Community at the Meyer Foundation. This position assists the Senior Director for Strategy and Equity in building the Foundation’s capacity to advance racial equity, and the Senior Director for Strategy and Equity, Senior Director for Program and Community, and Grants Director in developing and building the Foundation’s knowledge management system.
The Program Associate assists the Senior Director for Program and Community in developing and executing the Foundation’s research agenda, planning capacity building cohorts and supporting convenings. This position provides project management assistance and support and general support as needed.
The ideal candidate for this position will have:
1. A strong commitment to racial equity, evidenced through past work, activities, and/or affiliations;
2. Experience in research and data analytics; and
3. Excellent communication skills with the ability to create compelling presentations and data visualizations.
Responsibilities for the Program Associate for Strategy, Equity, and Research include, but are not limited to, the following:
Support the Implementation of the Advancing Equity Strategic Plan
• Supports the Senior Director in building the Foundation’s capacity to advance racial equity internally and externally;
• Assists Senior Director in conducting, analyzing, and synthesizing research on best practices and approaches in advancing racial equity;
• Assists the Senior Director in developing and executing internal team-building, education, and culture-building activities, as well as Board learning, including the production and assembly of materials;
• Assists in the planning and development of external meetings, training sessions, convenings, and special events, as directed by Senior Director;
Support Knowledge Management, Evaluation and Research
• Assists the Senior Director for Strategy and Equity, Senior Director for Program and Community, and Grants Director in developing, implementing, and maintaining a system to evaluate the impact of Meyer Foundation and its grantees;
• Assists Senior Director for Program and Community in developing and implementing the Foundation’s research agenda;
• Liaises with Program Associate for Program and Community to research and analyze the Foundation’s grantmaking, as requested;
Support Grantee Capacity Building
• Assists the Senior Director for Program and Community in planning and implementing cohort-based capacity building programs and convenings;
• Assists the Senior Director for Program and Community in preparing materials for the Foundation’s board meetings;
• Create and maintain a system for vetting external consultants through a racial equity lens.
Project Management Assistance and Support
• Applies project management principles and tools to support progress on all projects;
• Works with senior leadership to manage and provide support to short-term projects as directed;
Administrative Support to the Senior Directors
• Provides general administrative support, including calendar and contact management, responding to requests for meetings, answering phone calls, taking and conveying messages, arranging for out- of-town travel;
• Processes credit card reconciliation and expense reimbursement forms monthly;
• Schedules and provides support for meetings;
• Provides back-up assistance to other Foundation staff on an as-needed basis;
Working Collaboratively as a Member of the Meyer Team
• Performs shared administrative functions including answering telephones, covering the front desk, and staffing the conference rooms;
• Participates actively in staff meetings;
• Proactive in using knowledge and understanding of the office systems to support program and administrative work of the Foundation;
• Solicits ideas and feedback from colleagues to improve office systems;
• Willing to assist or relieve other office staff in their ongoing duties, as necessary;
Maintain High Standards of Professional Conduct
• Maintains high standards of professional conduct, both internally with colleagues and externally with other audiences;
• Maintains the highest level of discretion and confidentiality, able to handle sensitive material concerning the organization;
• Completes work in a timely manner; on-time attendance for the workday and for meetings;
• Follows Meyer’s administrative policies and procedures;
• Shows respect, courtesy, and a positive attitude in interactions with others;
• Possesses the proven ability to anticipate needs and be proactive in order to resolve issues independently;
Personal Characteristics and Values
• Committed to the Foundation’s mission and racial equity stance;
• Active and supportive participant in building and maintaining a collaborative and inclusive workplace culture;
• Proven ability to listen, discern challenges, and identify solutions;
• Partnership approach and ability to effectively work with different workstyles;
• An analytical thinker who can apply strategy using a thoughtful and inclusive approach;
• Open-minded and committed to honest and candid conversations and self-reflection about race, racial justice, and equity;
• Resolves conflict and exercises tact and diplomacy;
• Enthusiasm for organizational change and patience during any change processes as part of the Foundation’s commitment to ongoing evolution and improvement.
To apply, submit resume and cover letter in Microsoft Word and PDF format, indicating salary preferences to email@example.com. Please include “Program Associate for Strategy, Equity, and Research” in the email subject line. We review all submittals and contact qualified candidates by telephone or email. No telephone inquiries accepted. This position is open until filled.