Part-Time Program Administrator for the Bernie Scholarship Awards Program
A component fund of the Greater Washington Community Foundation
About the Greater Washington Community Foundation
The mission of the Greater Washington Community Foundation (The Community Foundation) is to strengthen the Washington metropolitan region by encouraging and supporting effective
philanthropy and by providing leadership on critical issues in the community. It is a community of givers, dedicated to inspiring and creating change across greater Washington and beyond.
The Community Foundation, which serves the District of Columbia, Montgomery County, Northern Virginia, and Prince George’s County – is part of a network of some 700 community foundations nationwide, each a tax-exempt, public charity made up of charitable giving funds established by individuals, families, corporations, and other organizations. The Community Foundation manages hundreds of donor funds, with assets totaling more than $300 million, and is the largest funder of nonprofit organizations in the metropolitan Washington region, having granted over $1 billion to over 8,000 nonprofits in its 44-year history. Learn more at www.thecommunityfoundation.org.
About the Bernie Scholarship Awards Program Fund
Founded in 1995 by Bernie Tetreault, a former Executive Director of the Housing Opportunity Commission (HOC), the Bernie Scholarship Awards Program Fund (The Fund) is a component fund of the Greater Washington Community Foundation. The Fund's goal is to change lives through education for low-income students who live in subsidized rental housing in Montgomery County, Maryland. The program fulfills this goal by providing financial support to augment traditional financial aid. Learn more at www.berniescholarships.org.
Brief Job Overview
The Program Administrator will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the Bernie Scholarship Awards Program. The Program Adminstrator will be a liasion between external stakeholders and the Bernie Scholarship Awards Program Board (the Board).
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Implement the adopted Work Program of the Board by following up with the Board committees and their tasks.
- Send notices of Board meetings and agendas; prepare and send minutes to both Boards and work program updates to Board members.
- Lead year-end fundraising campaign--mail the solicitation letter, input new prospective names into mailing list, collect and input donations.
- Track and acknowledge gifts to The Bernie Fund at Greater Washington Community Foundation (GWCF); add new donors to mailing list. Go to P.O. Box in Rockville every other week to collect mail.
- Draft quarterly newsletters in coordination with Board members; gather relevant information for newsletter, social media and website.
- Coordinate applicant screening and selection process. Update and send out the online Application Form and schedule applicant interviews.
- Send award and regret letters to applicants.
- Track award recipients, enter data into database, coordinate the sending and tracking of the survey questionnaire for the Effective Study.
- Coordinate with Board and Advisory Board members the annual Awards Celebration event and reception, space, room set-up, food, etc.
- Keep both Boards’ rosters up-to-date; send revised lists to all Board and Advisory Board members.
- Research grant opportunities; be a conduit among Board, GWCF and funding sources on inquiries related to grant applications/funding.
Required Skills: Microsoft Office, Excel, Google Forms, Google Docs and other Google applications.
The Program Adminstrator will work as part-time consultant to the Greater Washington Community Foundation. The term of employment is one year, with the option to renew the contract.The consultant is expected to work between 10 and 50 hours a month and will be required to attend Board meetings but will also have the felxibility to work remotely.
The consultant will be compensated at a rate of $25/hour.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.