Job Title: Community Affairs Liaison-NOVA
Job ID #: 12048
Location: Fairfax, VA
Career Band: BDB
PRINCIPAL RESPONSABILITIES: Under the direction of the Director of Community Affairs for the National Capital area in conjunction with the Vice President of Community Affairs, the principle duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Develop in-depth knowledge of the Northern Virginia service area, including current issues and trends, key resources, people and organizations.
• Work closely with the Director of Community Affairs on initiatives and partnerships that enhance the CareFirst brand and presence in the territory while reporting back on opportunities for engagement and involvement in Northern Virginia.
• Be responsive and attentive to current and emerging needs in Northern Virginia while working with nonprofit organizations, foundations, government agencies and others that are focused on shared challenges and health-related focuses and drivers in the region.
• Develop and assist in coordinating a wide range of liaison activities and events with various non-profit partner organizations, community and business/professional groups to highlight our corporate philanthropic mission in the region.
• Evaluate sponsorship and membership requests in the region, make recommendations for funding and produce reports through the donor management system.
• Develop and coordinate activities around external events such as branding assets, writing and preparing logistical briefs as needed, work with communications team on external and internal opportunities and organizational needs ranging from invitee recommendations to executive staffing at activities.
• Staff, contribute, represent, and attend CareFirst at community conversations, conferences, forums, seminars, meetings, and galas held during the day, evenings and some weekends.
• Understand the locality’s government structures and key elected officials in Northern Virginia as well as state leadership.
• Collaborate with other divisions at CareFirst as needed.
• Reviews grant proposals specifically from Northern Virginia during open grant cycles or request for proposal at the request of the Grants Program Officer.
• Conduct site visits with the Director of Community Affairs and/or Grants Program Officer to grantees and potential grantees to assess program relevance, organizational integrity and stability.
• Formulate recommendations for funding consideration, when requested.
• Identify external opportunities for volunteer engagement and add opportunities to the CareFirst Benevity Volunteer site.
• Identify board matching opportunities in Northern Virginia.
• Support the annual United Way Campaign and Corporate wide walk.
• Attend NCA Community Events throughout the region.
• Collaborate with NCA Community Affairs team on small and large-scale community relations initiatives such as regional community, corporate, and volunteer events that require collaboration and other related community efforts.
• Write briefings, logistics, and research documents that may be presented to CareFirst Executive Leadership and board.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education/Experience: A Bachelor’s degree in communications, business, advertising, government relations or related field is preferred; 4 years of experience working in community relationship building with various stakeholders such as non-profits, business chambers and government agencies.
Abilities/Skills: Must possess excellent and strong interpersonal, writing, and oral communications skills as well as a positive attitude, strong interpersonal skills, diplomacy and discretion, critical thinking and judgement. Must be organized and detail oriented, able to handle multiple deadlines and tasks. Must have knowledge of non-profit infrastructure and governance. The ability to perform as a leader and work in a team is essential. Must be able to think strategically, develop solutions, make decisions quickly and work well under pressure. Manage multiple projects and handle tight deadlines often with last minute changes. Sensitivity to diverse educational, cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds. Salary commensurate with experience.
Working knowledge of major corporate communication discipline including corporate giving, public relations, media relations, advertising and advertising compliance. In depth knowledge of working with and developing partnerships with non-profit organizations. Regional travel, night time and weekend work required. Access to transportation to travel ad hoc to community locations throughout the CareFirst region and to transport event-related materials.
Preferred: In-depth knowledge of CareFirst, Inc structure, policies and operations. Working knowledge of event management, volunteerism, components of advertising, health insurance/health care industry. Prior knowledge of Blackbaud MicroEdge GIFTS or a comparable donor-management software very desirable.
Department: Community Affairs Admin. NCA
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
External applicants: Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Internal applicants: Please visit PeopleSoft/Employee Self Service/CareFirst Careers
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Please apply before: 03/17/2019