The DC Bar Foundation (DCBF), a 501(c)(3) organization established in 1977, funds, supports, and improves legal representation for the poor, vulnerable, and otherwise disadvantaged in DC, and we are committed to the vision that residents of the District have equal access to justice, regardless of income. We provide grants, training, and technical assistance to DC legal aid organizations and award loans to DC poverty lawyers to help with their educational debt.
The Foundation is located in the WeWork community on M Street in SE Washington DC, right next to the Navy Yard/Ballpark Metro Station (green line).
DCBF seeks a Grants Manager to play the critical role of ensuring effective operations and alignment with grants management best practices, while supporting implementation of the Foundation’s strategic plan. This individual will be responsible for contract management and operational management of DCBF’s programs. In addition, the Grants Manager will collaborate with Programs Officers to execute the full lifecycle of DCBF’s grantmaking.
The primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serve as system owner for the grants management database (Blackbaud Grantmaking)
- Manage all components of the grantmaking processes
- Manage Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP)
- Maintain grant application forms, reporting forms, templates, and reporting dashboards
- Provide technical assistance to current and prospective grantees for application and report submissions into the grants management system
- Update grants database and perform ongoing quality control to ensure data integrity
- Manage team accountability related to workflows, deadlines and grant lifecycles
- Work with Programs Officers to structure, standardize, and implement the grantmaking processes, while revising documentation in the grants management manual
- Stay abreast of philanthropic trends
- Provide administrative support to the Director of Programs
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and 3+ years’ experience managing grants and reporting
- Strong knowledge of administrative policies and practices
- Working knowledge of the content arena and databases
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite; Expert with Excel (including pivot tables and custom reporting) and PowerPoint
The ideal candidate will also possess the following qualities:
- Exceptional attention to detail and desire to ensure accuracy when performing routine tasks
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Customer-service orientation, and eagerness to support the Foundation’s vision and mission
- Ability to think both strategically and analytically
- Ability to manage workflows and processes for different programs at the same time
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to convey information accurately and listen effectively
- Ability to work efficiently with a team and independently
- Entrepreneurial spirit, curiosity and willingness to take on projects that will support learning across the team
- Comfortable in a fast-moving, ever-changing environment
- Salary commensurate with market and experience
- Generous health coverage including paid medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- Health Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) retirement plan with matching contribution
- 12 paid holidays per year, plus annual office closing between Christmas and New Year’s
- 15 days of paid vacation
- Accrued sick leave
- Transportation subsidy
Persons with mental or physical disabilities as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act are eligible for this position as long as they can perform the essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodations are made to their known limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible for this position.
The DC Bar Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
Location: Washington, DC