Grants Manager, Managed Organizations (Washington, DC)
You are mission-driven and action-oriented. You love to get involved and work as part of a team to accomplish something great. Any job is your job if it helps the team succeed, and you thrive on variety. Today, you’re looking for a role where you can use those traits to make a real difference in the world by advancing the most important social issues facing humanity today.
If that sounds like you, Arabella Advisors can’t wait to meet you.
Using independent judgment, the grants manager will oversee incoming funds from the grant proposal stage through the reporting stage. This position includes preparing grant proposals and related materials, reviewing donor agreements, understanding and tracking grant restrictions, and reviewing grant reports. This is a new position that will partner with the compliance team, financial analysts, and staff that provide direct service to the nonprofit projects that we host, to ensure quality control in the process of managing incoming foundation funding and will be responsible for implementing this process across portfolio of donors and grants. The grants manager will play a key role in shaping, evaluating, and adjusting this process.
- Manage a portfolio of grants from the proposal stage to the final report stage, including reviewing proposal narratives and budgets, preparing supplementary materials, and documenting and monitoring donor restrictions to ensure that grant management and grant activities remain compliant with regulations and requirements (donor, legal and financial)
- Manage a high volume of incoming grants; including reviewing agreements, documenting restrictions, claiming funds, preparing contracts and agreements for execution, and reviewing narrative and financial grant reports
- Manage communication with donors and philanthropic partners; communicate nuanced fiscal sponsorship structure and policy to funders and other stakeholders; communicate grant restrictions to other staff who are working with the grant
- Ensure donor reporting is timely and accurate and that proposals to donors are compliant and meet fiscal sponsorship parameters
- Help colleagues problem solve; identify need for and create additional resources (e.g., checklists, quality control measures) as necessary
- Contribute to operational and procedural innovations related to managing incoming funds
- Identify new services for project portfolio based on donor and client needs
- Contribute to the team and organization’s significant year-over-year growth by improving our systems, operations and processes
- Contribute to the achievement of important team objectives
- Develop an understanding of relevant emerging and critical philanthropic trends
To Be Successful in This Role, You’ll Need:
- Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent experience
- Minimum four years of work experience, at least two years of which includes financial administration, grants management, compliance, or related experience
- Impeccable interpersonal and client relationship/customer service skills, comfortable with a wide range of stakeholders
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple demands, projects and deadlines
- Demonstrated financial acumen
- Ability to work independently, and also collaboratively
- Ability to proactively problem-solve to identify both problems and potential solutions in a fast-paced environment
- Comfort with ambiguity and developing systems/processes where they didn’t exist before
- High level of computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), database programs, including Salesforce, and web-based communications tools
- Sense of humor
Our Core Competencies:
- Ability to provide excellent service to clients, including being able to diagnose and anticipate difficult service challenges, provide proactive and effective client-centered solutions, pass along service lessons to teammates, and demonstrate a strong understanding of the client’s perspective
- The ability to effectively manage projects, proactively problem solve, and ensure quality control
- A high level of emotional intelligence and the ability to use that intelligence to appropriately adapt to stakeholders’ needs
- The ability to effectively help communicate complex and nuanced messages to a variety of audiences, including adapting style, tone and content to meet various needs
- The ability to work cooperatively and inclusively with others to achieve shared goals, including supporting efforts that promote a safe and welcoming culture, providing timely and constructive feedback, and highlighting and sharing significant and new knowledge across the team
- The ability to use available resources and feedback to continually develop mastery in your role and facilitate team learning, including a willingness to request feedback and incorporate it to improve individual performance and to seek out and participate in career-relevant learning activities
- The ability to take ownership and be creative and solutions-oriented when encountering challenges that don’t have obvious answers, including the ability to solve challenges independently
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
About Arabella’s Managed Organizations Team
Arabella Advisors provides operations and management support to multiple nonprofit organizations, including the New Venture Fund, the Windward Fund, and the Hopewell Fund—all 501(c)(3) public charities—and the Sixteen Thirty Fund, a 501(c)(4). These managed organizations house new and innovative public interest projects and nonprofits, as well as coordinate collaborative initiatives between donors and administer grants programs. This type of structure is commonly referred to as fiscal sponsorship, and candidates are highly encouraged to research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview. The managed organizations provide support to a diverse range of projects, including many focused on conservation, global health and civic engagement.
Working with Us
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers website to learn more.
To encourage work/life balance we offer flexible work options. Our office is an open space with cubicles and informal work areas. Our salaries are closer to the range of a nonprofit and our benefits are excellent. You’ll start with three weeks of vacation, 80 hours of personal time, and 20 hours of paid time to volunteer at an organization of your choice. In addition to seven federal holidays, you get to pick four more from a list of inclusive religious holidays and your birthday.
We have a competitive health package that includes medical, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide funds for professional development, a fitness benefit, and cover part of your personal cell phone plan.
How to Apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter online. The cover letter should address why you’re excited to work at Arabella and why you’re qualified for this specific job.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.
Apply here! https://jobapply.page.link/GU5W