The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra (BSO) seeks a dynamic and experienced Gift Officer who will manage the implementation of fundraising strategies to increase contributed revenues from individuals including events and special stewardship and recognition plans for donors at Strathmore. The Gift Officer will play a key role in supporting the BSO’s long-range goals to increase individual giving at Strathmore. The Director will work closely with the VP at Strathmore as well as the VP for Development, the Development team, BSO program staff, board members, and donors to devise and execute new strategies to enhance philanthropic support. This position is based at the Music Center at Strathmore in Bethesda, MD.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Act as initial contact and BSO liaison for donor inquiries and follow up to ensure donor satisfaction.
- Design and manage personal cultivation, stewardship and solicitation plans for an annual portfolio of 100 to 150 individuals, with an emphasis on growing the Governing Member and Major Gift programs; new donor acquisition; and, existing donor retention and engagement.
- Working closely with the Vice President at Strathmore, Vice President of Development, and marketing teams, design and implement creative, long-term strategies for achieving fundraising goals, expanding the donor base, and developing new donors.
- Attend member events as a representative of the BSO staff, including but not limited to open rehearsals, on-stage rehearsals, the Donor Appreciation Concert, Cast Parties, After Hours, Allegretto Dinners, and Governing Members Sponsored Concerts both during and after office hours. Also provide Governing Members Lounge support as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- A minimum of four (4) years increasingly responsible development experience. At least two (2) years of direct donor stewardship experience.
- Ability to participate successfully in a fast-paced, team-orientated, constantly changing environment.
- Demonstrate superior organizational skills, attention to detail, the ability to meet deadlines.
- Proficient in Microsoft programs, including but not limited to Excel, Publisher, Word, & Outlook.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with individuals.
- Flexibility to adjust schedule as needed for support at events, which frequently occur on evenings and weekends.
- Ability to attend weekly development staff meetings in Baltimore.
- Previous experience with fundraising data bases, especially Tessitura.
- Experience overseeing staff and/or volunteers.
- Excellent critical thinking, strategic planning and problem-solving skills.
- A background and/or interest in the arts.
- Knowledge of Montgomery County.