About AFL-CIO Technology Institute
The AFL-CIO Technology Institute is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization launched in 2021 to bring the voices of working people and unions into technology development and innovation policy. Creation of the Institute was a core recommendation of the 2019 AFL-CIO Commission on the Future of Work and Unions, a multi-sector collaborative of union leaders determined to build a powerful strategy to prepare our movement for the future of work.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Institute is seeking a Foundation Relations Manager to advance the Institute’s vision and mission and create a robust and sustainable funding portfolio with a focus on private philanthropy. The Foundation Relations Manager will work in close collaboration with the AFL-CIO Working for America Institute, the AFL-CIO, and its unions. The Technology Institute’s mission is to create technology and innovation policy that improves the lives of working people and ensure public R&D investments equitably benefit workers and communities. From Congressional offices to the shop floor, this is a unique opportunity to shape the future for working people across the country.
The Foundation Relations Manager will work closely with the Executive Director and senior leadership team to develop and implement a robust fundraising program with foundations, affiliates, partners, and business to support the Technology Institute.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and leadership team to build a development and fundraising strategy with annual goals that align with the Institute’s strategic plan. Update strategy annually with new ideas, industry best practices, and data-driven analysis.
- Design, implement, and manage a comprehensive and strategic fund development plan focused on expanding and enhancing foundation, affiliate, and business support for the institution. Monitor and report regularly on progress of the foundation fundraising strategy, providing transparent, regular, and actional analysis for the organizational leadership team.
- Build and cultivate a diverse portfolio of key prospects to solicit five to seven figure commitments. Assist Executive Director, board of directors, and key stakeholders in building relationships with foundations and other key partners.
- Research and design cultivation and solicitation plans for major funders and key influencers and support the Executive Director and organizational leadership team in the execution of these plans.
- Collaborate with the Institute’s leadership team and key stakeholders to develop grant applications, reports, and other development materials as necessary. Write compelling, original grant proposals that convey strategic concepts and make compelling arguments to increase donor awareness of TI’s mission and programs and encourage their engagement and financial support. Submit grant proposals and reports through donor portals.
- Build strong working relationships with other AFL-CIO departments, affiliates, and allies to collaboratively shape programmatic goals, activities, and budgets that ensure alignment with TI’s mission and facilitate positive long-term relationships with donors
- Maintain a high-quality stewardship process for active prospects, working closely with program staff to schedule and lead meetings, events and site visits, and ensure the timely delivery of quality reports and evaluations
- Develop organizational brand and produce relevant and informative fundraising literature for distribution to previous donors and the public.
- Create and manage grants management systems, tracking deadlines for applications and reports.
- Project manage the Executive Director’s fundraising work, working collaboratively to implement priorities.
- Bachelor’s degree in writing intensive field or equivalent work experience.
- 5-10 years of successful development or fundraising experience, particularly with foundations or public funding organizations.
- Proactive, self-starter. Ability to work with teams and independently.
- Resourceful and creative. Ability to problem solve and offer recommendations and solutions when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex technical concepts to a variety of audiences including excellent writing and public communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to design, conduct, or oversee writing projects, including excellence in writing and editing, research proficiency and ability to use a variety of tools and methods to display data.
- Public speaking experience, including demonstrated ability to interact flexibly and appropriately in a politically sensitive environment.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and collaborate with diverse staff teams in an interdisciplinary work environment.
- Proven ability to build teams and work effectively in a team environment, in both a lead and support role.
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work extended or irregular hours as needed.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $90,000 - $100,000 and any offer will be determined based on a candidate’s skills and relative work experience.
The Technology Institute offers employee benefits including
- Excellent employer-paid comprehensive health care, medical, and vision benefits
- Generous leave including annual vacation and sick leave
- Employer Paid Retirement/Pension Plan and 401(k) Savings Plan Match
The AFL-CIO Technology Institute is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin. We welcome a diverse pool of applications, believe it is critical that our staff represent the larger labor movement, and are committed to building a culture and community that fosters diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Please note that the AFL-CIO Technology Institute requires all staff to be fully vaccinated unless granted a medical or religious exemption as set forth in EEOC guidelines.
The AFL-CIO Technology Institute has partnered with RCG Talent Solutions on our search for a Foundation Relations Manager. RCG Talent Solutions will review all applicants and, upon qualification, contact you to determine the next steps. You must submit your application directly to RCG Talent Solutions using this link to be considered.