Northern Virginia Family Service (NVFS)
Executive Vice President, Development and Communications
Northern Virginia Family Service (NVFS) seeks an Executive Vice President, Development and Communications (EVP) to join the senior leadership team of an organization with an unparalleled track record of empowering and supporting communities in need across Northern Virginia.
Reporting to the President & CEO and serving as a key member of the organization’s leadership team, the EVP is responsible for ensuring the successful growth and sustainability of the organization. The EVP will lead a high-performing development and communications team, working collaboratively across the organization to build and institutionalize a culture of philanthropy. Additionally, the EVP will be responsible for the design and implementation of a comprehensive development plan, meeting ambitious fundraising goals, and engaging with the community through events, and volunteer programs.
The ideal candidate is an experienced development professional who thrives in a highly collaborative, entrepreneurial, diverse and inclusive culture. Further, s/he brings strong experience scaling corporate, foundation and individual donor programs, building internal infrastructure, and working effectively across a complex organization.
- Provide vision, leadership and strategy for sustainable growth across the organization
- Work with the President & CEO and leadership team to establish and execute long- and short-term strategic development and communication priorities aimed at increasing support from individuals, foundations and the corporate community
- Implement use of best practices with respect to use of data, research, and analysis in identifying sources of support, developing revenue projections, and customized approaches to engaging new donors
- Oversee the design and execution of a development plan that will significantly increase NVFS’ fundraising capacity and diversify current sources of revenue
- Manage existing funder relationships and implement expanded funding strategies that generate new revenue from diverse sources to ensure organizational sustainability
- Oversee all community engagement activities, including fundraising events, drives, and volunteer management
- Oversee all aspects of NVFS’ communication strategy, ensuring that the organization’s mission and impact is well-known in the community
- Strengthen the organization’s brand identity through best practice uses of traditional and digital communication tools
- Position NVFS as a thought leader, showcasing the organization’s best practices in the field
Team Leadership and Development
- Lead, motivate, and provide coaching for a dedicated fundraising and communications team, fostering a culture of growth, learning and innovation
- Collaborate with colleagues across the organization to support the achievement of NVFS’ overall mission while promoting a culture of mutual support and accountability
- Develop overall fundraising objectives, as well as specific goals for members of the development and communications team and plans to ensure accountability and success
- Grow staff capacity in critical skill and competency areas, recruiting the very best talent for the organization, and operating from a succession planning mindset
- Leverage a large and engaged Board to raise NVFS’ profile and increase philanthropic support for NVFS
- Communicate and collaborate with the Board, maintaining active engagement and dialogue on Development and Communications-related issues
- 10+ years of development experience with at least 5 years of leadership experience
- Demonstrated success developing and implementing a comprehensive and integrated development strategy that resulted in measurable and significant revenue growth to an organization
- Specific experience building robust corporate, foundation and individual giving programs
- Ability to create a culture of philanthropy across the organization
- Experience leading integrated communications and brand management strategy for an organization, including effective use of traditional and digital communication tools
- Superb interpersonal skills with experience motivating, coaching and developing high-performing teams
- Exceptional communications skills, including verbal, written and presentation formats
- Highly-organized, detail-oriented, and able to manage a variety of projects in a fast-paced environment while maintaining focus on high-level organizational goals
- Experience working in a complex, direct service organization strongly preferred
- Deep commitment to NVFS’ mission
NVFS provides the essential building blocks for financial, emotional and physical well being, serving as leaders and innovators for the Northern Virginia community for more than 94 years. NVFS provides services in a diverse set of issue areas, including early childhood development, foster care and adoption, health and well being, homelessness and housing, immigration legal services, workforce development, and youth initiatives. Every year, NVFS empowers 35,000+ individuals to achieve self-sufficiency. With these essential resources, the Northern Virginia community is better equipped for future success and engagement among all of its neighbors.