A Wider Circle has grown every year since its founding in 2001, and as we enter our 20th year, we are seeking to take a significant leap forward in our capacity and impact. The Director of Philanthropic Engagement will help lead this effort, propelling A Wider Circle’s growth in bringing the appropriate urgency toward poverty eradication.
This is primarily an outward-facing role, with a focus on building relationships with potential funders. You will often serve as the face of the organization and set up presentations across the region – for yourself and with A Wider Circle’s senior leadership.
In the past year, A Wider Circle has opened a new center in our nation’s capital, expanded our workforce development efforts, and continued as the leading provider in the region of furniture and other essential items to those in need. The conditions faced by those in poverty have not changed at nearly the proportion of the expenditure in this country on programs and services addressing it. There has been a significant output for a modest outcome, and we are working hard to help change that. The Director of Philanthropic Engagement will join us in this effort, and the successful candidate will have a commitment, energy, and an unyielding desire to be a change-agent in the movement to end poverty.
In the coming year, the organization will pursue outcomes such as ensuring that everyone in our midst has their basic needs met as well as opportunity to pursue employment with the expectation of success. We will pursue both at our headquarters in Silver Spring and at our neighborhood centers located within low income communities. The centers will be holistic in their approach, with a primary focus on jobs and workforce development.
The Director of Philanthropic Engagement will be responsible for growing revenue streams in support of this work, with a special focus on major gifts and philanthropy. They will have exceptional communication skills, the readiness to lead, and the courage and willingness to commit at a high level to the growth of this work. The Director of Philanthropic Engagement will report to A Wider Circle’s Senior Vice President.
- Identify, coordinate, and participate in meetings with an array of potential partners, philanthropists, and corporate groups
- Identify strategic opportunities for outreach
- Support execution of the development strategic plan and achievement of the organizational financial targets
- Cultivate long-term financial partners in each of the organizational program areas and for general organizational support
- At least five years experience developing relationships and performing successful outreach to individual funders
- At least ten years of grant-writing or other professional writing experience
- Ten to fifteen years of professional experience in development, marketing, and related fields
- Five or more years experience in coalescing and/or speaking to individuals, small groups, and large groups of stakeholders
- Three or more years experience working on behalf of low-income individuals, families, or communities; or in a service-based nonprofit setting.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Wider Circle is committed to having a team that is diverse and ensuring that all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender (including gender identity or expression), religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, or other non-merit factor. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.