The Horizons Greater Washington (Horizons) seeks a Director of Individual Giving who will oversee individual giving for an educational non-profit organization with a 20-year history of helping low-income students realize their full potential. The primary role of the Director of Individual Giving is to increase individual donor support for unrestricted and restricted programming from major donors. The Director of Individual Giving will identify, cultivate, and solicit gifts from new individual donors and nurture and encourage existing individual donors. He/she will work closely with other staff to create and fulfill the donor experience, from acquisition of new donors to stewardship. The successful candidate will have demonstrated fundraising success and high-level organizational skills to manage complex projects.
This position has the flexibility to be part-time (up to 30 hours) depending upon the candidate’s level of individual giving experience, specifically major donor experience.
- Help our donors accomplish their philanthropic goals and ambitions through a relationship with our organization
- Work with the Executive Director to align efforts and set goals
- Create and implement moves management plans
- Assist the board with their solicitation (e.g. provide portfolio development support, strategic counsel, and help with donor communications)
- Acknowledge major donors through public and private recognition
- Conceptualize, analyze, and monitor individual and major donor cultivation and solicitation strategies that may include face-to-face visits, direct mail, email and social media appeals, events, and planned giving.
- Oversee a portfolio of existing individual donors and identify new prospective donors. Cultivate existing individual donors and encourage renewal and increased donor support. Collaborate with other staff on rating, solicitation and stewardship strategies and on donor acknowledgement, appreciation, and recognition.
- Communicate persuasively through personal visits, written proposals, appeal letters, and reports the important case for giving to the Horizons Greater Washington.
- Lead planning and staffing of fundraising events
- Represent the Horizons at networking/fundraising events and other speaking engagements.
- Prepare financial progress reports and budgets for board, committee, and staff meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including but not limited to.
- Updating social media postings
- Liaising with Horizons Parents Councils
- Collecting collateral photos for fundraising and communication efforts
- Create an impact report/materials to distribute in support of fundraising
- Work with communications committee to increase the profile of Horizons within host school communities and in the greater Washington area
- Develop tracking system and touch points with HATS and families to develop donor base
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, but not required.
- Seven+ years of successful fundraising experience in major and individual gifts.
- Must be a highly energetic professional with a track record of building donor relationships and closing gifts of at least five-figure range.
- Must be able to represent the Horizons independently to potential donors and make compelling asks.
- Excellent communication and organization skills, both oral and written, supported by ability to use technological tools. Ability to produce high quality results quickly and on time.
- Strong facility with fundraising software – The Raiser’s Edge preferred.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and as part of a team and with great energy and persistence. Experience working with diverse constituencies.
- Critical thinking, problem solving, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Access to transportation to visit with donors and prospects. Available for occasional work events on weekends and evenings.
This position reports to the Executive Director at the Horizons Greater Washington.
Please visit http://www.horizonsgreaterwashington.org/employment/ and follow the links to apply.