Director of Donor Relations
About the Community Foundation for Northern Virginia
The mission of the Community Foundation for Northern Virginia is to grow philanthropy to help respond to critical need, seed innovation, and lead and convene the community. Comprised of donor advised funds, permanent funds, giving circles, and other charitable endowments, the Community Foundation works to build a community that works for everyone. We believe that our community is stronger when all people are respected, welcomed, and invited to share their assets and contributions in community building. We work to bring about a more equitable and inclusive prosperity that marries our economic strength with the full breadth of our diverse community. We are wholeheartedly devoted to our neediest neighbors and most vulnerable and marginalized populations and work tirelessly to better meet their needs. In 2020 the Community Foundation awarded more than $13 million in grants and scholarships and now reports $85 million in managed philanthropic assets.
Title: Director of Donor Relations
Location: Oakton, VA 22124
Reports to: President and CEO
Terms: Full Time Exempt
The Director of Donor Relations manages and stewards the Community Foundation’s existing donor relationships, providing excellent donor service and insuring that all Community Foundation donors experience high-quality interactions with the organization that foster long-term engagement and investment.
- Donor Advised Fund (DAF) staff primary point of contact, answering all DAF donor questions, processing all DAF grant requests, educating DAF donors on Donor Central functions and capabilities, performing all due diligence on DAF grantees, and creating and amending donor fund agreements adherent to the donors’ wishes.
- Donor Recognition, including donor recognition events, the creation of donor profiles for use in Community Foundation publications like newsletters, magazines, annual reports, and press releases, and the development of structured giving opportunities at the Community Foundation in addition to DAF’s, including donor leadership societies, giving societies and the like.
- Donor Stewardship, including reporting to donors on the impact of their gifts with quantitative and qualitative demonstrations of impact.
- Gift Acceptance and Management, including application of the Community Foundation’s gift acceptance policies and procedures to donor gifts.
- Donor Information and Gift Information maintenance, including reconciliation of contributed income and DAF grant making records with the Director of Finance through the Community Foundation’s internal database, CommunitySuite.
- Donor Giving Plan, constituting a plan of action that addresses engagement opportunities with existing donors, including contributions to new or existing discretionary funds, increasing level of DAF balances, and donor event awareness.
- Donor Events and Solicitations, including helping Community Foundation staff plan and coordinate events, meetings and programs that help inform, educate, and engage donors and potential donors, and overseeing all donor solicitations such as the annual appeal.
- This position requires a Bachelor’s degree.
- 4 + years experience with donor/customer/member service.
- Donor/customer/member relations or stewardship experience.
- Confident with managing processes around donor development and cultivation.
- Knowledge of Foundant CommunitySuite database or other donor/customer relations database required.
- High level of attention to detail
- Team player oriented, motivated to make a difference.
- Experience with legal and regulatory compliance issues related to community foundations and nonprofit grant making preferred.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
- 4 Weeks PTO
- 401(k) Plan
- Health Insurance
Interested candidates should submit resume and cover letter to