Organization Description: DC Appleseed is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to solving public policy problems facing the District of Columbia. DC Appleseed works with broad coalitions of community leaders, government officials, attorneys, expert consultants, and others, to analyze and develop measured, well-researched practical solutions to complex, multi-faceted problems facing our community. Our mission is to improve the lives of all who live and work in the D.C. area and to address racial, economic, educational, and social inequities.
DC Appleseed’s projects involve conducting research, collaborating with diverse groups, issuing reports, and advocating to governmental decision-makers, as well as bringing or supporting litigation. DC Appleseed has a staff of six, and a 33-member board. Applicants are encouraged to visit our website to read more about DC Appleseed’s current projects. This is a great opportunity for a person who wants to make a big impact and work on city-changing projects.
Director of Development Job Summary:
The incumbent will be responsible for creating and implementing the organization’s fundraising goals and strategy. They will work closely with the Executive Director, other staff, and the Board of Directors to identify, cultivate, and solicit donors to meet the organization’s fundraising goals. The majority of DC Appleseed’s funding comes from local foundations and our annual event, so experience with local foundations and solid event planning experience is critical. The role also requires that the individual have a commitment to racial equity and a passion for advancing racial equity work. Given the important role that communications plays in development, we are seeking someone with communications experience. Applicants with significant communications experience may apply for “Director of Development and Communications.” All others should apply for “Director of Development.” The Director of Development / Director of Development and Communications will report to the Executive Director.
- Writing proposals, letters of inquiry, and reports to DC Appleseed’s 20 foundation supporters;
- Working with DC Appleseed’s accountant to ensure proper financial reporting:
- Collaborating with program staff to develop foundation materials; and
- Identifying and cultivating potential new foundation supporters.
Annual Event fundraising:
- Organizing annual Fall fundraising event;
- Writing direct appeal letters and developing mailings in support of event;
- Developing the program and identifying speakers and honorees, with input from Board and staff; and
- Overseeing logistics to ensure the event runs smoothly.
Individual Donor Fundraising:
- Write email blasts and annual appeals to individual donors;
- Co-lead the Fund Development Committee of the Board to maximize board participation;
- Ensure proper recognition and acknowledgement of all donors;
- Develop new ways to reach donors, including through social media; and
- Solicit support from Board members, including through planned giving.
- At least 3-5 years of experience in development
- Significant experience in writing foundation proposals and reports
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Attention to detail and ability to meet multiple deadlines
- Strong organizational skills
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and economic equity
- Ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of people, including staff and board
- Dedication to and passion for the mission of DC Appleseed
- Interest and ability in pursuing multiple fundraising strategies
- Ability to communicate effectively the impact of policy advocacy
- Experience planning large-scale events and smaller programming events
- Ability to stay current on the organization’s project focuses, positioning in the field, and marketing communications.
Preferred Additional Qualifications:
- Proficiency with CRMs, particularly Salesforce
- Proficiency with WIX and Constant Contact
- Demonstrated ability to develop/support a cohesive communications strategy that is reflective of the organization’s brand;
- Experience managing or supporting media relations, including: drafting press releases and media advisories, and building relationships with media outlets;
- Ability to oversee/support the maintenance and operation of the organization’s website;
- Demonstrated experience developing, supporting and executing traditional and contemporary social media initiatives.
Compensation: Annual salary between $70,000 and $85,000. Benefits include health insurance; dental insurance; long- and short-term disability insurance; automatic employer retirement contribution; pre-tax commuter benefit; paid time off for vacation, personal leave, sick leave, family/medical leave, and holidays. DC Appleseed is dedicated to creating an inclusive and diverse team that does great work and enjoys making a difference.
Target Start Date: Immediate. Position Open until Filled.
To Apply: Send resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to officeMgr@dcappleseed.org
Portfolio examples such as event materials or campaigns also welcome.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $70,000.00 - $85,000.00 per year
Our staff are currently working remotely. the successful applicant will be assigned an office but in-person attendance is not essential during the pandemic.