CityWorks DC- Director of Development
Organization Overview: CityWorks DC is an entrepreneurial non-profit venture sponsored by CityBridge Education. CityWorks DC’s mission is to reshape education-to-employment pathways in Washington, DC by mobilizing key stakeholders and resources to dramatically increase the number of young people who secure the family-sustaining jobs available in our growing regional economy. Our vision is that all young people in DC have the “social mobility trifecta”: 1) valuable certifications and credentials; 2) paid, relevant work experience; and 3) a supportive professional network. To provide this trifecta to all students, especially those who are marginalized and historically overlooked, CityWorks DC focuses its work on redesigning how young people experience high school, postsecondary, and early employment.
To accomplish this bold vision, CityWorks DC’s theory of change has two complementary strands: 1) launch a targeted set of innovative programs that work directly with young people; and 2) lead systems-level initiatives that create the conditions for CityWorks DC’s programs and others to thrive and spark citywide reform across K12, postsecondary, and employment to take place.
The CityWorks DC team is small and mighty with eleven full-time staff members. CityWorks DC has ambitious plans to grow the current programs and initiatives rapidly, as well as consider new projects as appropriate. The work is primarily funded by local, regional, and national foundations.
Position Summary: The Director of Development is a driving force behind CityWorks DC’s fundraising, helping build and grow our revenue-generation strategy. Working in close collaboration with the President and CEO, the Director will support our fundraising efforts to: identify new funding sources, cultivate potential donors and partners, and manage relationships, communications, and reporting to funders. The Director will also support CityWorks DC’s communications efforts, helping to articulate organizational messages and create content for organizational collateral—ultimately helping build awareness of CityWorks DC mission and developing brand.
This is a DC-based position and the individual who fills it must be living in the metropolitan DC area by the end of January 2022. Preferred start date is by late November 2021, and we expect the Director to commit to at least two years with CityWorks DC.
The position reports to the Vice President for Operations & Internal Counsel. The Director of Development will:
- Drive CityWorks DC’s revenue generation engine: Write and edit all grant applications and reports; identify and research prospective funders; manage investor relations through regular communications; and collaborate with the President and CEO to create new strategies and activities that attract funding.
- Manage key relationships with funders: Develop and maintain knowledge of local and national foundations and individuals to highlight the important work happening at CityWorks DC and throughout the District of Columbia.
- Create content for CityWorks DC communications: Support CityWorks DC’s external communications, supervising content creation, translating our organizational messages and stories of impact into donor-and stakeholder-facing documents and collateral; collaborate with the development and communications team—and all CityWorks DC colleagues—to strategize new ways to tell the CityWorks DC story and share important information, data, and updates with our stakeholders.
- Effectively steward grant funds: Develop and manage systems to track and report on all gifts to CityWorks DC (foundations, institutions, and individual gifts) and ensure proper stewardship of all grants and gifts.
Qualifications and Skills: The successful candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Deep commitment to achieving racial equity and belief in the promise inherent in all children
- Minimum of five years development work experience preferred
- Highly organized, self-directed, and detail-oriented
- Excellent writing and meticulous editing skills
- Skilled project manager with a track record of successfully managing numerous projects at once while attending acutely to detail
- “System” thinker that understands proper stewardship of grants and donations
- Creative, with an eye for appealing aesthetics
- Comfort working in a nimble organization that is committed to constantly learning and evolving; desire to work in fast-paced, forward-looking nonprofit environment
Benefits and Salary: The salary range for this position is $100,000-125,000, commensurate with experience, and we offer a comprehensive benefits package including health (medical, dental, vision) insurance and 401(k) matching. Our total rewards package strives to meet our team’s intersectional needs around wellness, work-life balance, and flexibility. As such, we offer unlimited vacation days, 25+ annual paid holidays plus additional office-wide Mental Health Days, (post-COVID) flexibility to work remotely several days a week, commuter benefits, an annual professional development allocation, discounted gym memberships, and more.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter describing your interest in the role and highlights of prior relevant experience. Applications are accepted via JazzHR at: https://citybridge.applytojob.com/apply/xwXKpR81ZF/Director-Of-Development-CityWorks-DC? Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, with priority given for applications submitted prior to October 15, 2021.
CityWorks DC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.