Founded in 1978, the Community Foundation has been the premier charitable partner trusted by thousands of generous Northern Virginians for decades. We awarded more than $7.1 million in grants and scholarships in 2018, including $644,785 in grants from discretionary grant funds that helped respond to critical need and seed innovation in the region.
In recent years the Community Foundation has also emerged as an important civic and social leader. Our Innovation Breakfast Series and Shape of the Region Conference discuss economic mobility, opportunity, and the intersection of philanthropy and economic development. We created and publish the Opportunity Index for Northern Virginia, a data resource comprised of several key indicators reflecting our region’s economy, community health, civic life, and educational outcomes, advancing stakeholders’ understanding of the true needs of our region. It is a critical resource for community knowledge and strategic philanthropic giving.
DIRECTOR OF “COUNT THE REGION”
The Community Foundation for Northern Virginia seeks a part time professional level Director for “Count the Region,” a new two-year initiative at the Community Foundation to help get out the count in Northern Virginia for the 2020 Decennial Census.
20 hours / week
Up to 2 years
DESCRIPTION: Duties for the Director of “Count the Region” include:
- Regional Complete Count Committee: Plan, create and launch a regional Complete Count Committee for Northern Virginia, leveraging the Community Foundation’s local connections, relationships and influence.
- Convene, Collaborate, and Support: Convene, collaborate with and support all complete count committees established by the individual jurisdictions in Northern Virginia.
- Partnerships: Create other partnerships with chambers of commerce, schools, hospital and health systems, elected officials, and other circles of influence to help coordinate and nurture efforts to get out the count.
- Communications/Messaging: Develop a communications and promotional campaign with common messaging and Northern Virginia, using locally relevant data to reach the identified audiences and goals related to Count the Region. Share all communication tools and messaging with all complete count committees and other partners in the region.
- Education: Conduct education events that explain the importance of the 2020 Census for our region.
- Online Presence: Launch a website (as a sub-page of the Community Foundation’s existing website) to facilitate a local sharing of knowledge and resources among all interested Northern Virginia complete count committees and other circles of influence.
- Private Foundation Support: Interface with the national and local private foundation world to gather resources, messaging, and any available financial resources for the Northern Virginia effort to get out the count.
- US Census Bureau Point of Contact: Act as a point of contact for the US Census Bureau for Northern Virginia’s Complete Count Committees.
- Evaluation: Help the Community Foundation define success and evaluate the impact of the Community Foundation’s and region’s efforts to get out the count.
- Experience with grass roots marketing and communications
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Experience as a legislative aid, running campaigns, community organizing, or the like
- Experience interacting with civic and community leaders helpful
- Public policy advocacy or government relations experience helpful
- Experience with program evaluation helpful
The Director of Grants and Community Leadership
SALARY for 20 Hours/Week: $45,000
Duration: Temporary, up to 2 years
Please email your resume and cover letter to:
The Community Foundation for Northern Virginia is committed to building a community that works for everyone. We work to bring about a more equitable and inclusive prosperity that marries our economic strength with the full breadth of our diverse community. We are wholeheartedly devoted to our neediest neighbors and most vulnerable and marginalized populations, and work tirelessly to better meet their needs.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation gender identity or expression, veteran status or disability. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply