Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts seeks a dynamic, seasoned Director, Corporate and Foundation Relations, to provide strategic direction to and management of the organization’s corporate and foundation partnerships—a portfolio of approximately 80 corporate and foundation partners—totaling $4 million dollars in contributed income. The Director will actively fundraise; oversee the corporate and foundation relations team to ensure high performance; and collaborate with the Board of Directors, executive leadership, other Development staff, and key program personnel to secure significant support for performing arts and education programs and special events. The Director, Corporate and Foundation Relations reports to the Vice President of Development, is part of the Development senior management team, and manages three direct reports. Some evening and weekend work is required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as primary relationship manager for an assigned portfolio of higher level corporate prospects/donors.
- Develop strategies and conduct face-to-face visits to identify, cultivate, solicit and pitch to companies, and successfully close gifts and agreements of $50,000 and above (approximately 20 annually) with special focus on growing six figure gifts and above, to support the mission and goals of the Wolf Trap Foundation.
- Work collaboratively with the Foundation’s leadership team, Board of Directors, and key personnel to manage and support the cultivation and solicitation of priority partners.
- Prepare briefing materials and written requests/proposals/sales pitches, and join leadership team in partner engagement in special event and promotions opportunities, as appropriate.
- Continually monitor opportunities for external prospect identification by maintaining a strong current knowledge of the sponsorship community–both from retail and philanthropic perspectives.
- Maintain, manage, and execute a rigorous schedule of contacts with corporate and foundation representatives, creating moves management plans, compelling presentations/pitches, and comprehensive fundraising proposals. Monitor proposal deadlines, prepare and provide feedback on proposals, and manage proposal submissions.
- Provide direction for corporate cultivation and stewardship events, ensuring clear goals and projected outcomes, strategic use of leadership and Board, event efficiency, and strategic moves-focused follow up.
- Create clear contracts and high quality activations for corporate donors. Ensure that stewardship and reporting requirements are met to sustain successful partnerships; maintain detailed records of solicitation activities internally.
Strategy and Leadership
- Serve as senior member of the Development team, working collaboratively with Directors of Annual Giving, Special Events, Systems, Leadership Giving, and Planned Giving.
- Supervise Corporate and Foundation staff to ensure the administration and implementation of a robust cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation cycle.
- Implement and direct a comprehensive, proactive development plan focused on expanding and enhancing corporate and foundation relationships. Develop corporate and foundation goals in conjunction with overall Wolf Trap Foundation goals.
- Collaborate and proactively communicate with program staff (Education and Opera) and others within the Foundation (Communications and Marketing team in particular) to ensure fundraising and sponsorship is meeting programmatic needs, and that efforts are effective, efficient, and maximized.
- Lead the creation and execution of corporate and foundation partnership long-term goals and strategies for meeting or exceeding fundraising targets (including key fundraising efforts, campaigns, and special projects).
- Continually monitor opportunities for external prospect identification by maintaining a strong current knowledge of the philanthropic community, and of best practices and valuable trends in corporate sponsorship.
- Keep all contacts up to date in Wolf Trap Foundation’s CRM system (Raiser’s Edge).
- Evaluate and modify prospect management system as needed to ensure the systematic and efficient solicitation of prospective sponsors and grants for the team.
- Direct prospect screening, management and research functions to support the needs of the corporate and foundation gift fundraising efforts and assure a vibrant pipeline of prospects.
- Oversee the Corporate and Foundations budgets, ensuring accurate and efficient processes for budgeting and reforecasting.
- Provide direction for all targeted corporate partnership events, ensuring clear goals and projected outcomes, strategic use of leadership and Board, event efficiency, and strategic moves-focused follow up.
- Other duties as assigned by the Vice President, Development.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- BA/BS degree or equivalent experience
- 8-10 years of experience with a minimum of five years of major corporate sponsorship success, including face-to-face solicitation/pitching of five, six, and seven figure partnerships
- Demonstrated success in marketing, creative partnerships, writing compelling corporate and foundation proposals and reports
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Experience with cultivation, solicitation, negotiation, marketing and stewardship strategies and techniques in the area of corporate and foundation fundraising and sponsorships
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills and demonstrated record of success in generating significant commitments from corporations and foundations through in-person pitches and sales, proposal or grant writing
- Demonstrated knowledge of methods, practices, and procedures for obtaining information about the giving and corporate responsibility programs
- Excellent organizational and networking skills with large groups as well as with individuals are essential. Ability to maintain a high level of poise and professionalism in all circumstances
- Ability to initiate and build relationships with prospective corporate and foundation donors, and interact via telephone and in person with institutional representatives
- Self-motivation, creativity, and discipline to regularly set and achieve work goals
- Demonstrated ability to take primary responsibility for diverse number of projects and to complete them in a timely manner with limited supervision
- Enthusiasm for and knowledge of the performing arts a plus
- Must be proficient in various computer software and database programs such as Microsoft Office, Raiser’s Edge, and Internet applications
- Some weekend and evening work is required
- Sensitivity and commitment to the mission of Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts
Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Qualified candidates can apply online at https://goo.gl/afqfu4