Urban Alliance’s National Development team is currently accepting applications for the Development Manager role, to be based within one of the organization’s regions (Greater Washington, DC; Baltimore; Chicago; Detroit). The Development Manager will primarily be responsible for writing grant proposals and reports to local government, family foundation, and corporate foundation donors. In addition, the Development Manager will collaborate with regional Executive Directors to implement fundraising plans and track moves management for major corporate job partners. Applicants should have excellent written and verbal communication skills and a keen attention to detail. The individual must be familiar with the donor life cycle and committed to Urban Alliance’s mission and values. The Development Manager will report to the Development Director.
About Urban Alliance
For more than 25 years, Urban Alliance has provided thousands of economically-disadvantaged youth with the skills, social capital, and career exposure needed to overcome systemic barriers to equal employment and educational opportunities. Urban Alliance’s programming serves as a bridge between young people, employers, and schools by providing high school students with comprehensive soft skills and digital literacy training, paid internships with local employers, individualized mentoring, case management, and ongoing post-high school planning support. Urban Alliance is one of the few youth workforce development organizations to have its impact proven by a six-year randomized controlled trial and has been recognized as a leader in the field by the book Moneyball for Government, as well as the Chronicle of Philanthropy, NPR, Forbes, the Urban Institute, and the Obama Foundation.
- Writes accurate, timely, and high-quality grant proposals and reports, gathering input from key program staff
- Researches opportunities, cultivates new and stewards existing relationships
- Tracks writing schedules to ensure deadlines are met
- Successfully externally communicates the mission of the organization
- Contributes to philanthropic regional funding goals in excess of $1 million per year
- Tracks all application, reporting, and moves management data in Salesforce
- Coordinates with teams across the organization to ensure grant deliverables are met
- Supports the regional Executive Directors in developing and implementing donor cultivation plans
- Coordinates and supports donor visits
- Updates supplemental proposal materials and attachments as needed
- Develops internal reports on current and prospective regional funders and coordinates monthly meetings with regional teams to discuss funding strategies
- Contributes to Annual Report and Annual Appeal as assigned
- Supports the regional offices by attending special events and helping with program as requested
- Ascribes to Urban Alliance’s core values: Students First, Take Care of Each Other, Follow Through, Open & Direct Communication, Dedication to Mission and Results from Mission
Preferred Experience and Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree required
- At least fours years of fundraising experience, with demonstrated success in securing and managing grants
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with strict adherence to deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent project management ability
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment while balancing multiple priorities
- Knowledge of MS Office Suite is required
- Experience with donor-tracking databases and/or Salesforce is preferred
- A passion for and understanding of economically-disadvantaged youth and a deep commitment to the mission of the organization
Compensation and Benefit Package:
The salary range for this position is $52,000- $57,000. At Urban Alliance we offer 18 days of paid time off, 10 paid federal holidays, as well as a birthday and diversity paid holiday. Our benefits include a comprehensive health plan with 90% individual healthcare coverage, 403(B) retirement plans with a 3% match, whole life insurance and pre-tax commuter benefits. We offer working remotely up to two days per week.
Urban Alliance Vaccination Policy
As established by the Urban Alliance Board of Directors, all employees are required to receive a vaccination against COVID-19, unless a medical or religious reasonable accommodation is approved. If offered a job, the candidate must be able to prove that they have been vaccinated with one of the CDC-authorized vaccines, including either Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, or Johnson & Johnson’s / Janssen or request and be granted an accommodation before their start date.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Urban Alliance is a racial and social justice organization committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. Urban Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Applicants from all underrepresented groups, including people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and DACA recipients are encouraged to apply.