Mikva Challenge DC is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization whose mission is to develop youth to be empowered, informed, and active citizens and community members who will promote a just and equitable society. We are a dynamic youth empowerment agency that provides middle and high school students with unique civic learning opportunities and hands-on experiences in community organizing, public policy advocacy, and youth activism programs. We do this by engaging youth in Action Civics, an authentic and transformative learning process built on youth voice and youth expertise.
Building off of a 20-year legacy in Chicago and four years of exciting growth in our nation’s capital, Mikva DC is a small and quickly growing team, seeking an energetic and creative professional to expand our grant writing and development capacity. This is a great opportunity to join an innovative and growing youth civic engagement organization, and bring your own leadership and entrepreneurial skills to this new position.
Mikva evaluations show lasting impact of its programs.
- After participating in the program, 88% of participants now feel confident expressing their views in front of a group of people (vs. only 58% before the program)
- 84% believe they can make a difference on issues in their community (vs. only 55% of youth nationwide).
- 75% of Mikva alumni volunteer in their communities, compared with only 36% of young people nationwide.
- 90% of Mikva alumni are registered voters, compared with only 60% of young people nationwide
The Development Manager reports to the Executive Director and should be flexible in their ability to support the robust and high quality work of the chapter and its programming in multiple ways. The primary responsibilities for the Development Manager will be grant research, writing, submission, and reporting along with leading the event planning for cultivation and fundraising events, and maintaining a highly organized database of prospects and outreach in the organization’s CRM
- Serve as the organization’s primary writer of compelling proposals and reports about Mikva Challenge’s action civics programs.
- Conduct detailed prospect research on foundation, corporate, and government grant makers and work with ED to identify potential targets.
- Support the cultivation of prospective donors and stewardship of current stakeholders through the management of fundraising, cultivation and other special events
- Support ED in seeking new funding opportunities while developing strategies for increasing and deepening a broader base of donors to support the organization
- Manage donor database, assist with donor stewardship and provide administrative support to ED on major donor cultivation and stewardship
- Support the ED in preparing for quarterly Advisory Board Meetings
- Supports team on admin, social media, marketing, and outreach communication
- Attend and support special youth-based program events
- Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION: Minimum Bachelor’s degree, with a strong background in writing and communication.
- Minimum of 2 years of grant writing and/or fundraising experience
- Communications experience and strong writing and storytelling skills
- Experience working in social justice or youth serving organizations preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills that are effective with a diverse range of audiences including board members, internal staff, volunteers, donors, executives, and funding partners
- Interest in youth development and a dedication to promoting the organization’s fundraising priorities through developing excellent relationships with Board members, donors, and volunteers
- Action-oriented and entrepreneurial self-starter who can work well independently and in team
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a demonstrated record of completing assignments
- Strategic thinker, highly organized, demonstrated hands-on experience with proven ability to multitask, handle pressure and meet deadlines
- Strong computer skills with both Mac and PC environments and proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Salsa or a similar CRM database
Mikva Challenge is an equal opportunity employer and we highly value diversity in our workplace. Mikva Challenge provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
Compensation and Benefits: We offer a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to Robyn Lingo firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, no phone calls. Review of applications will begin immediately.