The Development Associate is part of the energetic Sitar Arts Center team that leads efforts to strategically develop relationships with and strengthen financial support from individuals, corporations, foundations, and government agencies to advance the Center’s institutional goals and objectives. The Development Associate coordinates Sitar's Development Operations, Development Services, and Donor Relations. The Development Associate will also work closely with the Center’s Executive Director in preparing regular communications to the Center’s Board of Directors and with the Senior Director of Development in securing Major Gifts and working with Sitar’s Leadership Council. This position reports to the Senior Director of Development.
Major Gifts Support (40%)
- Assists the Development team in fundraising for major gifts, capital campaigns, and planned giving.
- Helps identify and research major donor prospects, maintains an active list of prospects, and helps team to track and document contacts. Tracks portfolios of development officers and coordinates all materials and logistics for regular prospect review meetings. Assists in entering contact reports and keeping all electronic and paper files up-to-date for priority prospects.
- Prepares annual proposals to Family Foundations who regularly give grants of $5,000 or less, working closely with the Grants Manager. Researches additional family foundations who may be good prospects.
- Drafts and helps prepare annual endowment reports. Maintains records for planned gift donors and endowment donors.
- Assists in letter and proposal writing and sending to major donors. Ensures collateral materials are accurate and ready as needed.
- As requested, performs scheduling, expense tracking, and general assistance for Senior Director of Development.
Development Operations and Donor Relations (30%)
- Manages with accuracy and attention to detail the Center’s fundraising database including entering donors and prospects, generating contributed income reports, preparing deposits and income and online giving reports for the finance department, reconciling monthly finance reports including income, pledge, and cash flow, and other reports as requested (mailing lists, donor levels, and retention stats).
- Processes all gifts in a timely and accurate manner including entering gifts into the database, preparing and mailing acknowledgement letters, and maintaining donor files and donor rosters (print and online).
- Assists Annual Giving Manager in fundraising for the annual gala and annual fund. Performs data entry, prepares solicitations and invitations for mailing, extracts and segments data for mailing lists, designs and prints silent auction and other gala displays, represents Sitar at United Way and similar events, and other support as requested.
- Tracks donor moves and other data in database, including points of contact, communications, events attended, etc.
- Helps prepare and update budget and fundraising performance reports.
- Tracks pledge fulfillment and prepares pledge reminders for donors.
- Supports essential stewardship efforts (call lists, cards, tours, gifts) by the Senior Director of Development and Executive Director.
Board Relations (15%)
- Provides support for Board meetings and individual members by:
- Preparing the Executive Director for Board meetings
- Scheduling committee meetings, orientations, and individual meetings in conjunction with the Executive Director and Committee Chairs
- Providing and maintaining information on board terms and committees
- Updating and compiling board orientation materials for new members
- Compiling and distributing Board packets for meetings
- Arranging logistics of all meetings (venue, food, conference line, etc.)
- Preparing Board resolutions as needed
- Taking and distributing meeting minutes/notes in a timely fashion
- Tracking and updating Board Action Plans
- Serving as a helpful point of contact for Board members
- With Senior Director of Development, manages the work of the Leadership Council. Schedules and arranges logistics for Leadership Council meetings. Assists Leadership Council Co-Chairs in council communications. Supports all Leadership Council hosted events.
Meeting and Event Coordination (10%)
- Coordinates donor and prospect engagement events throughout the year. Prepares invitations, including working with development and marketing teams. Manages RSVPs and prepares detailed attendance reports and key bios. Provides direct logistical support with vendors and event volunteers, organizes all necessary materials, and manages set-up and clean-up.
- Fills and creates marketing packets to distribute to donors, prospects, and other special guests. Preps meeting rooms and other logistical needs for onsite tours and meetings by the Senior Director of Development and Executive Director.
- Helps set agendas for and participates in weekly Development team meetings and Development/Communications calls and meetings.
- Provides support for program activities such as student performances, community events, and showcase week.
- Other development team administrative support as requested.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of 1 year professional experience in fundraising, events planning, nonprofit administration, or similar work
- Interest in arts education, youth development, and equitable opportunities for economically disadvantaged families
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with great attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent phone, email, and interpersonal skills, demonstrating respect and compassion with both internal and external audiences
- Strong writing and analytical skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, shifting priorities, and proprietary information with a high level of discretion
- Abila Fundraising 50 or similar CRM database experience
- Experience working in Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to work independently and in a team oriented environment
- Background check and TB test are mandatory
- Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter experience
- Experience managing volunteers and staff
- Experience in development operations and services for small to mid-sized nonprofit organization
- Experience with individual giving or major gifts fundraising
- Sense of humor and curiosity
Specifics of the Position
Position is full-time, salaried with an excellent benefits package. General work hours are Monday – Friday between 8:30am – 5:00 pm. This position is with the Development Department, which is required to work evenings and weekends on average 2-3 times per month for Board meetings, donor events, and community events.
Salary will be commensurate with experience with a range of $37,000 - $40,000
How to Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter, no phone calls please.
Applicants will be contacted if they are invited to be interviewed for the position. Candidate will be considered if the position is still vacant. The hiring process may take 6-10 weeks. We appreciate your interest in Sitar Arts Center.
Sitar Arts Center is an equal opportunity employer. For more information about Sitar Arts Center, please visit www.sitarartscenter.org
Our mission is to offer possibilities that transform the lives of children and teens born into a world of unequal access to opportunity. We engage children and teens in the highest quality visual, performing and digital arts. We teach the arts so that our students learn about themselves and gain critical life skills. We create community for students and their families. And we are an untiring voice on their behalf.
Sitar Arts Center is a creative youth development organization providing transformational arts experiences and high quality arts education while offering a nurturing community to families with low income from all parts of the city. Sitar offers families a continuum of arts educational programming from birth to young adulthood. Sitar helps vulnerable, financially disadvantaged children and teens develop critical life skills to thrive in the 21st century through three program pillars: a student engagement model, high quality arts experiences, and civic engagement.
Sitar Arts Center is building an inclusive Sitar Community with 80 percent of Sitar students coming from low-income families and 20 percent from higher income families. Sitar’s approach ensures life-changing relationships are built across economic, racial and cultural spectrum, leading inevitably to stronger communities and a strong, inclusive city.
Sitar Arts Center is committed to helping the families we serve to thrive in their rapidly gentrifying DC neighborhoods, focusing especially but not exclusively on Wards 1, 4 and 5 which are geographically closest to the Center. As part of the movement for social justice, Sitar seeks to narrow the opportunity gap to help financially disadvantaged children have the best possible chance for success in life. Sitar is lifting up our advocacy voice to make sure this city offers equitable access to youth development and arts education opportunities as essential to strong communities and strong families.
Sitar’s staff and volunteers are guided by the following values.
Student Centered – We place the children, youth and their families at the center of our decision-making and actions; we strive for a holistic approach to creative youth development and believe in the potential of every child.
Excellence – We strive for excellence and impact in our work, and in providing arts education opportunities. We create a team environment that supports the best work possible, individually and collectively. We hold our students to high expectations and tenaciously support them in achieving their potential.
Community and Belonging – We intentionally create a culturally competent community in which every member has a sense of deep belonging and shares the essence of Sitar’s mission. We rely on and are grateful for every member’s contribution and believe that our sum is greater than our parts.
Partnership – We deeply value and highly prioritize our relationships with our faculty, artistic, philanthropic and community partners, and recognize these partnerships as the root of Sitar’s mission and programs.
Sitar Spirit – Sitar’s essence is upheld through intentional gratitude, reflection and celebration. We care for one another so we can care for our community. We are a learning organization, ready to evolve as needed by our students and families while maintaining the integrity of our essence.