ABOUT MIRIAM’S KITCHEN
Founded in 1983 as a soup kitchen, Miriam’s Kitchen has evolved over the years to provide more than meals. Today, Miriam’s Kitchen is a critical player in the fight to end chronic homelessness in DC. On the direct services level, we help our guests improve their health, increase their income and obtain housing through a range of programs and partnerships. And at the systems level, we work with leaders across the city to make instances of homelessness rare, brief and non-recurring.
As Corporate Partnerships Associate at Miriam’s Kitchen, you will have the chance to be a part of ending chronic homelessness in DC while having fun in doing so. You will work closely with the Director of Corporate Partnerships to secure investments in MKs high-quality direct service programs (from meals to housing) and transformational advocacy work.
A competitive salary and benefit package are matched by flexibility and a commitment to a culture of innovation, support and whimsy. Family friendly, life friendly and with the perk of a weekly staff lunch—Miriam's Kitchen is an exceptional organization. But don't take our word for it—Miriam's Kitchen has been recognized as a Best Place to Work by the Washingtonian in 2011 and 2013 and by the Washington Business Journal in 2009, 2010, and 2016.
If you are a development professional looking for a chance to hone your event and corporate partnerships skills, flex some creative and design muscle, and represent Miriam’s Kitchen with radical hospitality, then we want to speak with you!
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Special Events Management
- Assist with the implementation of annual fundraising events (gala, resident picnic, and more)
- Support guest outreach, RSVP, and post-event follow-up
- Utilize Salesforce to maintain a clean list
- Collaborate in weekly meetings to fully implement the vision of fundraising events
- Assist the Director of Corporate Partnerships on the day of the event
- Create logistics plan in collaboration with the Director of Corporate Partnerships
- Work directly with vendors from catering to AV and production
- Support gala host committee and Leadership Council members with their asks
Sponsorship Fulfillment and Stewardship
- Support outreach to sponsor prospects and donors
- Work with Director of Corporate Partnerships to create a program book and sponsor materials for the event
- Ensure timely payment of sponsorships including sending invoices and event acknowledgment letters to donors
- Follow up with sponsors about sponsorship fulfillment (e.g. ad, logo, payment)
Volunteer Coordination and Stewardship
- First touch of all groups joining the MK family – you are there to greet them and make them feel like part of the MK family
- Coordinate volunteer shifts for meal sponsors and corporate partners – scheduling shift, sending reminders before shift, welcoming volunteers when they arrive, taking photos of group on shift, sending them photos and thank you letter after shift. Goal for corporation is for them to leave saying “This is the best place to volunteer in DC!”
- Providing a warm welcome to corporate volunteer
- Assist with partner recognition through various channels (e.g. social media, on kitchen screens, website)
- Reviewing who attends corporate volunteer shifts and alerting Director of Corporate Partnerships and Chief Development Officer when senior execs attend
- Coordinate in-kind drives with corporate partners
- Cultivate a portfolio of organizational and corporate donors that can give $1,500-$5,000 (e.g. through meal sponsorships, workplace giving, and CFC campaigns)
- Draft corporate grant applications
- Be a community leader by speaking at events for MK corporate partners
- Direct and attend events as necessary
- Schedule meetings for Director of Corporate Partnerships
- Assist with meeting preparation
- Ensure accurate data is entered in salesforce (updating titles, primary points of contacts, etc. for corporate contacts)
- Support gift acknowledgment for organizational donors
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Familiarity with the homeless services and housing landscape in Washington DC
- Commitment to the mission and work of Miriam’s Kitchen
- Ability to handle donor correspondence and information in a professional and secure manner
- Ability to work with all stakeholders with the values of dignity, belonging and change
- Persistently pursues excellence by holding oneself to high expectations and seeking the best.
- Experienced working with and motivating contractors and volunteers
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, with an ability to develop strong professional relationships
- Ability to compellingly convey the work of Miriam’s Kitchen
- Extraordinarily attentive to detail and ability to work independently and manage multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Solid organizational skills (able to work independently, flexibly, and productively in a fast-paced environment and the ability to manage a multi-faceted workload)
- Strong desire to fundraise and support a team, work collaboratively and interdepartmentally
- Effective people management skills (able to work with staff across departments and promote productivity while creating a supportive work environment)
- Able to apply strategic and creative thinking, while being persistent, motivated and energetic, along with the ability to work in detail-oriented fashion
- Must be able to multi-task, learn new tasks and information, plan ahead, and recognize and solve problems. Must utilize good judgment under a variety of circumstances and recognize the need for confidentiality of information.
- Comfortable using technology, including experience using a donor database and managing lists; experience using Salesforce preferred
- 1-2 years professional work experience in similar field or Bachelor’s Degree
- Demonstrated record of handling calls, correspondence and internal operations
- Strong problem solving, training and personal management skills. Must have initiative and have ability to follow through with little direct supervision
- Excellent organizational and time management skills required
- Proficiency with MS Excel, MS Word computer software. Additional experience with graphic design (e.g. Canva) and Salesforce desirable.
- Must be able to lift and/or or carry up to 20lbs
Please send your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to email@example.com. Your subject line should read: Corporate Partnerships Associate. Applications will be accepted until March 26, 2018.