COMMUNITY RELATIONS ASSOCIATE
APAH is an award-winning non-profit affordable housing developer. APAH’s mission is to develop, preserve and own quality affordable places to live; to promote stability and opportunity for our residents; and, to advocate with the people and communities we serve. APAH is a mission driven, community minded and resident focused organization guided by six core values: compassion, integrity, collaboration, innovation, excellence, and impact. Enhancing racial equity, diversity and inclusion is a primary driver in our service approach and organizational goals.
The Community Relations Associate will support APAH’s community relations team in their work to raise philanthropic funds, communicate the organization’s message and build its brand, and advocate for affordable housing and effective policies and resources for low-income residents. Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to – grant writing, donor stewardship, general correspondence and communications, writing stories and other content for APAH’s newsletter and website; coordinating fundraising and real estate events, advocacy, donor database record maintenance, queries, and reporting, and responding to donor questions and requests. While this position will support the overall fundraising program, it will focus, in particular, on expanding APAH’s grant support from foundations and governments and creating written materials to help make the case for affordable housing investment to all donors. Many of these key tasks are consistent throughout the year. Others, like events, are often cyclical in nature and can vary in frequency from year to year.
- Assist with the development and execution of APAH’s overall fundraising strategy, with a particular focus on the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of foundation, corporate, and government funders.
- Conduct prospect research and evaluation.
- Maintain grant calendar to ensure timely response to opportunities and reporting.
- Collaborate with other APAH departments to identify funding needs and develop the programmatic response; craft compelling language to describe the funding opportunity and the case for support.
- Prepare grants for submission including draft preparation, coordination of internal review, and inclusion of all required attachments.
- Steward the donor experience and assure grant compliance, particularly with institutional donors, through regular updates on program impact and engagement with program delivery departments.
- Oversee grant compliance ensuring contributions are recorded and acknowledged, reports are timely and complete, and funds are received as scheduled.
- Create and interpret regular reports for internal and external stakeholders to ensure fundraising goals are appropriate and all know what progress is being made towards goals.
- Assist with the individual donor program as needed including support of fundraising events, donor stewardship, gift recording, and donor outreach.
- Provide team leadership in developing and managing the editorial plan for APAH’s monthly e-newsletter and contribute content.
- Assist with media outreach and writing press releases.
- Assist with website maintenance and develop content.
- Participate in content creation for, and publication on, social media outlets.
- Assist with the creation of presentations and other materials as needed. Proof and edit materials as needed.
- Assist with coordination of public relations events (often related to real estate milestones).
- Assist with issue tracking at the local, state, and federal level. Support the writing and design of advocacy and communication materials.
- Support advocacy outreach across all communications platforms.
- Collaborates with the Community Relations and Real Estate teams, the Volunteer Program Manager, and others to ensure support of advocacy initiatives are fully supported. Draft letters of support and recruit and prepare speakers as needed to advance real estate projects or other issues impacting affordable housing or low-income people.
Administrative and Other Duties as assigned (10%)
- Assist with the development and tracking of the department budget, including contract management, financial reconciliation, grant compliance, and invoice processing.
- Support Community Relations team with other projects as needed.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- We are open to candidates from early career to mid-level, with correlating educational or work experience. At least 3 years of nonprofit fundraising or communications preferred.
- Excellent writing skills including demonstrated success with grant and other fundraising writing.
- Well-organized and creative self-starter who is conscientious and able to work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge or other donor database strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated record of success supporting fundraising programs, engaging with donors, and expanding support.
- Experience with graphic design, including Adobe InDesign or similar, strongly preferred.
- Commitment to APAH’s mission, experience working in social service or housing organizations a plus, willingness to learn affordable housing issues required.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and attention to detail.
- Proven ability to manage competing priorities and meet deadlines.
Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time, exempt position. Typical workdays are Monday through Friday, with a total of 40 hours worked a week between the hours of 8 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. Occasional evening or weekend hours for community/board meetings related to projects and/or special events; additional work hours as required. Alternatively, there is flexibility in how this job could be structured, including a job share or two part-time positions.
- Primarily required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; and talk or hear.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to thirty (30) pounds.
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. APAH has a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance, long and short-term disability insurance, life insurance, commuter benefits, 401k, and paid leave. Our corporate office in Ballston features free parking. Most of our employees are working remotely currently due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. Please be sure note if you are interested in a job share, part-time or other alternative structure.
APAH offers equal employment opportunities (EEO) to employees and applicants for employment and prohibits unlawful discrimination and unlawful harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other protected classes or categories as defined by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including, but not limited to recruitment, selection, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, training program participation, compensation and all other terms, conditions and privileges of employment.
For more information about APAH, please visit us at http://www.apah.org.