Flamboyan Foundation seeks a Communications Manager, Content and Digital based in our Washington, D.C. office. The Manager of Content and Digital is Flamboyan’s in-house expert on telling compelling stories of the Foundation’s work and engaging people on its digital platforms.
Who We Are
Guided by the belief that all children deserve the opportunity to live a fulfilling life, the Flamboyan Foundation works to ensure every child in the US and Puerto Rico receives an outstanding education. In D.C., Flamboyan is accelerating student learning by helping educators and school systems transform their relationships with families. In Puerto Rico, Flamboyan is ensuring students are reading in Spanish on grade level by third grade while building a thriving philanthropic and nonprofit sector.
What You’ll Do
The Communications Manager position offers an incredible opportunity to work in an entrepreneurial, and collaborative environment that is working to improve student learning. This role is part of the Communications team, reports to the Senior Managing Director of Communications, and works closely with the Communications Associate, Design and Web. This position may require occasional travel, including locally between program sites.
- Write and edit in Flamboyan’s voice for a diverse range of needs including marketing materials, video, newsletters, websites, blogs, media, and social media
- Write long-form and short-form stories and gather testimonials, in partnership with program team members, to illustrate the impact of Flamboyan’s work
- Develop and maintain an annual editorial calendar
- Lead communications department editorial meetings
- Stay abreast of, and make recommendations on how to react to, the public news cycle
- Be a consultant to team members on Flamboyan’s style and tone
- Support SMD of Communications with managing press strategy
- Manage Flamboyan’s social media platforms and create a consistent pulse of relevant and timely activity to grow Flamboyan’s profile on these social media platforms both quantitatively and qualitatively
- Develop social media strategies that support marketing and public relations objectives
- Live-tweet key messages from Flamboyan’s program events and other high-level events featuring Flamboyan staff
- Partner with the communications associate of design and web to create compelling social graphics
- Create social media toolkits for key Flamboyan events
- Track, analyze, report on, and make meaning of social media analytics
- Connect with online influencer groups, websites, nonprofit and strategic partners to leverage social assets for co-marketing initiatives
- Create and lead a cohort of Flamboyan ambassadors (program & network participants) to help amplify Flamboyan’s voice locally and nationally
- Partner with the comms team in Puerto Rico to align story opportunities and amplify them on Flamboyan’s assets
- Support SMD of Communications as needed on tasks and special projects
- Liaise with program staff to stay abreast of cycle & events
- Liaise with executive communications lead to ensure content alignment for CEO communications strategy and to provide support prepping CEO for events as needed
- At least 3 years of professional experience in communications or marketing
- Proven storytelling ability with a knack for distilling complex concepts in a concise and engaging manner
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Strong track record of managing and planning content for social media platforms including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn
- Editorial calendar development & management experience
- Proven experience writing an initiative-based communications plan (i.e. for a specific event or campaign)
- Customer service orientation
- Ability to manage multiple projects and produce work quickly
- Willingness to accept guidance and give and receive open and honest feedback
- Strong propensity to be a self-starter and natural problem solver
- Bilingual proficiency in Spanish and English
- Experience managing a WordPress website or blog
- Photoshop proficiency
- Experience writing press releases and/or preparing news roundups using media aggregation services
How We Value You
Flamboyan offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position, a comprehensive benefits package, generous vacation time, and professional development opportunities. We are a people-centered, flexible, family-friendly workplace with a beautiful office environment. Our work is guided by four foundational core values that keep us grounded.
- People. We believe in the power, dignity, value, potential, and good intent of all people.
- Equity. We challenge ourselves, one another, and our partners to collaborate to identify and eliminate the barriers faced by historically underserved populations [so that everyone has the same access, consideration, respect, and opportunity].
- Impact. We create lasting, meaningful social change.
- Catalytic Action. We pursue our goals with passion and urgency and activate others internally and externally to carry our work even further.
For more information please visit www.flamboyanfoundation.org.
How to Apply
Please submit the following items online at https://grnh.se/7c2974a82.
- Your resume;
- Tailored cover letter describing your relevant qualifications for this role and interest in Flamboyan Foundation; and
- Work Samples
- 2 writing samples to include an impact story or story of an event (campaign, conference, etc.)
- 1 social media campaign sample
- Communications plan, content plan, or editorial calendar you developed for an event, initiative, or issue. (only if available)
It is in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. We recommend that your cover letter include why you are interested in Flamboyan Foundation and how your experience has prepared you for this role.
Note that the application must be completed in one sitting - it cannot be saved and edited later. We recommend completing it in one sitting or answering the questions offline and copying them to the application when you are ready to submit. Applications submitted by October 8, 2018, will receive best consideration.
Flamboyan Foundation is committed to being an inclusive organization that challenges historical inequity with a focus on dismantling systemic racism. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation gender identity or expression, veteran status or disability. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply.