About Greater DC Diaper Bank
Greater DC Diaper Bank (GDCDB) empowers families in need throughout the DC region by providing an adequate and reliable source for basic baby needs and personal hygiene products. We partner with 75+ social service agencies to distribute our diapers efficiently and to the families most in need; these partners use our products as gateway resources to more deeply and consistently engage clients with the other support services they offer, easing the burden of poverty in critical ways. GDCDB has distributed more than 15 million diapers since its inception in 2010.
Reporting to the Director of Development (DD), the Development and Communications Manager (CDM) will bring a passion for the mission of GDCDB paired with a high level of expertise and strategic thinking to plan and execute the organization’s external communications and raise the visibility of Greater DC Diaper Bank in the region. He/She/They will be responsible for bringing both structure and imagination to our growing number of programmatic and fundraising communications and activities. This role is both strategic and tactical, requiring the ability to think big while minding all the details. The CDM must be a savvy project manager who is comfortable juggling multiple projects for different people on different timelines.
The CDM is a full-time position and will be expected to work in the GDCDB office and at home. The GDCDB offices are located at: 8860 Monard Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20910.
Attributes of Competitive Candidates
Competitive candidates will have at least 4-7 years of communications experience, preferably in a human services or nonprofit environment, and enjoy working on small teams whose members all wear many hats. They must have impeccable writing skills and demonstrable social media expertise. They should be a considerate listener, believe everyone has an important story to tell and be able to readily connect the dots between fundraising, communications, and programs. They must inspire their colleagues to see those connections as well. They must appreciate structure and systems and believe they make the work easier and better. They must value anecdotes and data in equal measure.
- Develop creative and mission-centric messaging that articulates the core values of GDCDB and its unique role in connecting families with essential health products, as well as the Diaper Bank’s impact in eradicating poverty in the DMV
- Work with the GDCDB’s leadership team to develop and execute its annual communications calendar and content plan, covering all social media platforms as well as all online and offline communications
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, annual report, e-newsletters, Ambassador updates, and GDCDB’s website and social media accounts
- Manage GDCDB’s paid social media campaigns by creating ad campaigns, overseeing targeted marketing strategy, and managing budget allocation
- Utilize Google Analytics, paid advertising, and digital strategy to expand GDCDB’s virtual reach
- Partner with the DD to prepare all donor cultivation and solicitation materials by adapting messaging as needed relative to donors’ particular interests and specific history with GDCDB
- Use Salesforce, GDCDB’s CRM, to enter and track relevant information, build contact lists, and produce and analyze reports for internal strategy and external communications
- Conduct weekly gift processing and donor acknowledgments, including preparing and sending thank you letters and other donor stewardship materials
- Spearhead donor data input and ensure data integrity and accuracy in all records and reports in Salesforce, GDCDB’s CRM
- Collaborate with the DD to execute GDCDB’s donor stewardship plan
- Think creatively about the donor stewardship plan and update it annually with new and meaningful ways to connect donors and foster a sense of community
Compensation and Benefits
- This is an exempt position working 40 hours a week with a salary range of $60 - $70K
- Greater DC Diaper Bank follows the federal government holiday schedule
- Greater DC Diaper Bank is closed for one week in August and the week between Christmas and New Years
- Greater DC Diaper Bank offers participation in a retirement savings plan with employer match; $5,000 QSEHRA allowance annually; dental and vision plans; and flexible spending and dependent care accounts, totals based on employee status and hours worked
HOW YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN DO THE JOB:
- You have 4-7 years of communications experience, preferably in the nonprofit industry
- You are an excellent verbal and written communicator, possessing great attention to detail
- You have extensive experience working with online platforms such as MailChimp, Canva, Google products, WordPress, and other platforms that enable and enhance digital presence
- You have a documented history of successfully driving projects to completion
- You possess a demonstrated ability to understand and articulate complex issues
HOW YOU KNOW GDCDB IS THE RIGHT FIT FOR YOU:
- You are excited for the opportunity to promote the innovative ways GDCDB and its partner organizations are addressing the unique needs of families and working to eradicate poverty in the DMV
- You regularly demonstrate strong self-motivation, strategic thinking, and the ability to work independently
- You have awesome project management skills, a knack for working backward from deadlines, and can deal with curve balls thrown at your work plan
- You have a keen attention to detail, a love of adhering to organizational systems, and aren’t satisfied until you have produced a high-quality work-product
- You possess a high level of integrity and confidentiality and are able to manage sensitive information
- You are reliable and a friendly communicator who reaches out and follows up with professional persistence
- You are a creative thinker and willing to test out new ideas
Email the following package of information to HR@dcdiaperbank.org with “Dev/Comms Manager” in the subject line:
- Cover letter
- Screenshots of three professional social media posts you’ve authored with a short description of the main goal for each post
- A writing sample, preferably text from a newsletter or email blast
Persons with mental or physical disabilities as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act are eligible for this position as long as they can perform the essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodations are made to their known limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible for this position. Persons of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply.