Communications and Marketing Coordinator
Since 1973, the Greater Washington Community Foundation has been a champion of thriving communities and a catalyst for change through local philanthropic engagement, effective community investment, and civic leadership. We work with donors and partners to enhance the quality of life in the District of Columbia, Montgomery County, Northern Virginia, and Prince George’s County. Through our grantmaking and community impact initiatives, The Community Foundation works to Build Thriving Communities by accelerating effective solutions to Address Poverty, Deepen Culture and Human Connection, and Prepare for the Future of Work. As the region’s largest local funder, The Community Foundation has invested more than $1.3 billion to build more equitable, just, and enriching communities where all residents can live, work, and thrive.
The Communications and Marketing Coordinator reports to the Managing Director of Marketing and Communications and works collaboratively with staff across multiple teams to help coordinate communications about community engagement events, donor services, and The Community Foundation’s impact in our region. The Coordinator is responsible for maintaining the day-to-day operations of The Community Foundation’s website, email program, and social media accounts. This position will help coordinate and draft compelling content to ensure continued growth across owned channels. The Coordinator also serves as an internal client services representative, responding to inquiries and requests from staff and advising them according to the overall marketing strategy.
In addition to the duties described in this position description, every role at The Community Foundation is expected to contribute to the overall success of the organization and its goals. This may mean that team members are asked to take on other tasks that may not be listed here. Examples may include working on a project or specific task outside of your standard area of responsibility, participation on an organization-wide task force or special initiative or being asked to support a colleague when needed. Any additional tasks will be determined by the manager of this role in coordination with the leadership team.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Execute cross-channel marketing strategies and campaigns to promote Community Foundation events and services
- Draft social media copy and prepare graphics or other media for posting
- Provide marketing support for annual fundraising gala and donor engagement events
- Collaborate with staff colleagues to prepare event marketing materials and to capture takeaways/recordings from key events
- Coordinate monthly/quarterly newsletters: draft short summaries, collect internal/external submissions, and format content in templates
- Coordinate, format, and disseminate email communications using email marketing software
- For virtual events, handle platform and registration set up and logistics
- Maintain website, including posting new content, providing regular updates, and formatting blog posts with related graphics and images
- Collect and analyze website, social media, and email/newsletter metrics and prepare internal reports to inform future communications efforts
- Perform basic graphic design, photography and/or video editing work in Canva to create compelling content for email, web, and social media
- Other duties as assigned
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate degree in communications, marketing, PR, fundraising, or other relevant discipline preferred
- 3+ years of full-time professional experience in events marketing or communications role, preferably in the nonprofit sector
- Demonstrated experience working with social media account (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram), website platforms (WordPress and/or Squarespace), and mass email tools (such as Constant Contact or MailChimp)
- Familiarity with Zoom or other comparable webinar meeting platforms
- Outstanding written, verbal, and visual communications skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe Creative Suite, YouTube, Canva, and Google Analytics
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, providing a high level of service to several internal clients
- A self-starter and quick learner with the ability to prioritize effectively, organize workload, meet deadlines, be flexible, pay attention to detail, work independently and function effectively as part of a team
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Excellent benefits package, including company-paid health, vision, dental, and life insurance for employees; Flexible spending accounts; Universal life and long-term care insurance and retirement plan with employer match; Twelve paid holidays; Flexible work schedule.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a resume, three writing samples (which may include event invitations, blog posts, social media content, and/or event web pages that you have developed), and a cover letter elaborating on your experience, work samples, and interest in this position. Please include your salary requirements in your cover letter and forward to: HR@thecommunityfoundation.org.
The Greater Washington Community Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.