Communications and Marketing Manager
Starting January 2022
Organizational Overview: ACT for Alexandria (ACT) is Alexandria’s community foundation that improves the lives of all residents by turning ideas into action and resources into results. ACT catalyzes change through strategic initiatives and trust-based philanthropy, connects donors with causes they are passionate about, and collaborates with nonprofits to optimize resources and impact. We listen deeply to our community, advocate for key issues, and develop solutions for Alexandria's most pressing challenges.
Job Overview: With the ultimate goal of engaging our diverse stakeholders in ACT’s work, ACT is seeking a Communications and Marketing Manager who will be responsible for leading, developing, and implementing ACT’s full range of communication efforts, including public relations. The Manager will be a skilled storyteller and cross-platform communicator, creating compelling and connected communications.
Position Role & Responsibilities
- Create and implement a multi-channel communications content strategy across ACT’s social media, monthly newsletter, website, press releases, and other distribution channels to facilitate donor and stakeholder engagement.
- Create narrative strategies that drive the storytelling for racial justice and economic mobility.
- Advance brand identity and increase visibility of ACT’s programs and their impact across key stakeholder audiences including donors, grantees, and business and civic leaders.
- Provide ongoing communications support to ACT team members, including collateral design, content creation, editorial consistency, website updates and message distribution.
- Ensure the application of a racial equity lens to each project, reflective of ACT’s commitment to racial justice.
- Build and cultivate strong working relationships with local media (i.e. write and distribute press releases, draft op-eds, etc.).
- Manage the communication strategy for a Legacy Campaign to build public awareness of and commitment to legacy giving, including campaign collateral, website, events, etc.
- Manage the organization’s communications calendar, social media accounts, email lists, etc.
- Manage relationships with vendors such as printers, creative partners, etc.
Preferred Experiences & Qualifications
- Minimum of 5 years of communications and/or marketing experience in the nonprofit, government, philanthropic and/or similar sectors
- Experience in project management, developing communications, media and engagement strategies, and measuring results
- Experience with fundraising communications and marketing campaigns, such as annual campaigns, capital campaigns, legacy giving campaigns, etc., is preferred
- Strong persuasive writing skills, including an adaptable style for different audiences and platforms
- Strong verbal and interpersonal communications skills
- Commitment to racial equity and experience engaging and communicating with diverse audiences about racial equity
- Knowledge of current industry trends, particularly regarding the nonprofit sector
- Proficiency in technology platforms including all social media platforms, Microsoft Office, WordPress, Google Analytics, Constant Contact, Mail Chimp preferred
- Ability to collaborate with a team and work independently
- Proximity to Alexandria, VA preferred
- The Communications and Marketing Manager will report to the Chief Development Officer
- This is a full-time position that includes benefits: medical, dental/vision, STD, LTD, Life, workers’ compensation, and monthly cell phone and parking stipend
- The annual salary range for this position is $65,000-$70,000
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Communications and Marketing Manager” in the subject line. Deadline to apply is December 10, 2021.
ACT for Alexandria provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, ACT for Alexandria complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
ACT for Alexandria expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of ACT for Alexandria’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge. us!